1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We just got our Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dwp-wa, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dwp-wa

dwp-wa New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got a call around noon on Wednesday that our Prius was in, and I picked it up that afternoon. This was almost a week ahead of the revised schedule, and way ahead of the original wait time.

This vehicle is for my wife. This was a bit of a gamble, since she is not a techie like me, but she has now mastered the vehicle, though the first two days were touchy.
    We traded in my wife's 1999 Avalon, which was a super easy car to drive, but not necessarily an easy car to maneuver in tight places. I have to remind her that the Prius does not require as much steering wheel motion as an Avalon to manuever in our garage.

Our Prius if a base model with the alarm system and the floor mats. I had thought that we were getting option package #2, and that we could not get the alarm for pre-delivery without a package. The only add-ons I am planning at this time are the auto-door lock and the receiver hitch. I had though of adding fog lights, but then I would have to replace the grill, and I read that having fog lights tells thieves that there are HID lights ready to be stolen.
    I was disappointed that the radio does not have a mute button, because I use tht feature a lot in my Mazda MPV. I tried setting a blank station as a mute button, but the static is too loud.
    I was surpised the the Prius does not have even a minimal lumbar adjuster. With me, one size does not fit all, since I have a triple fusion in my back. I have to set the tilt of the seat just right, or else I get muscle spasms. I do not think an after-market lumbar adjuster would help, because I need to reduce what lumbar support is already there.

2. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

We picked up our Prius in Burlington, WA a week ago Tues. Our wait for it was two hours after placing an order. It is Tideland BC (fully loaded). We had been studying the Prius for over 6 mo. and finally decided to get it. Only paid MRSP.

Filled the tank the first time on Thur. Had 400 miles on it. The mpg for the tank was 50 --that was with a lot of playing around.

Love the car and still learning more about it. Our decision to buy was based on (in this order) interest in the technology, glowing reports in publications and on news groups such as this, reported reliability, mpg potential, fun to drive, and low emissions. Have fun with ours.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. I'm very close to my first 700km tank. My first few tanks were in the 40s so 50 is pretty good.

4. Stocky

Stocky New Member

Hey TP

What is "VVT-i emblem"?

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's this one

6. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi and Congrats,

Much like a new baby, folks always want to know the stats on a new Prius (i.e. Color, Package, anything added and where you bought it).

You might wish to investigate seatcovers and if so, I have been told that GTCovers is the place to go. My dealership actually uses them as the source for seatcovers for the Prius' that they sell (and they sell a lot).

Be sure that if you got the extra air bags option you do not try to use seatcovers that are not built for these type of seats otherwise if you ever need your airbags to work you could be in trouble.

Also, check places like Target and PepBoys for some nifty (and very inexpensive) goodies for your car. I bought door edge guard for mine at PepBoys for $12.99 for a 25' roll which is more than enough to do all four doors from top to bottom on two cars at least. The edge guard is made by StyleGuard and comes in silver, gold and black. Looks good too. I have pictures of my car up in the album section and you can't even see the edge guard but trust me, its there.

You might also want to keep track of your mileage and actual fuel cost and consumption in a diary. I have one that lives in my top glove box so that I can see in real numbers what I am spending and what I am using overall and not just on a tank by tank basis.

Most importantly, enjoy your car. I don't think that there could be a much easier car to drive on the market. The amazing part is that as simple as it is to drive and as technologically advanced as it's design is it is still fun.

Bravo to Toyota for putting the joy back into driving and bravo to you for choosing such an environmentally responsible, stylish and intelligently designed car to drive.

Welcome to the family!

Take care,

Tisza

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hi Old n Bold.

By the looks of your Username you must not have been a pilot in your younger years.

There is a saying in the aviation community: There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

Or could you just be the exception?

8. dvd

dvd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    dwp, congrats on the new car! I was also frustrated by the lack of a mute button. The best workaround is to press and hold the "Mode" button on the steering wheel for 2 seconds.. that will shut off the radio entirely. Then just click it once and you pick up right where you left off.