1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We MUST declare war on automobiles!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Aug 23, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They're killing americans right and left. 43,443 to be exact last year.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/us_nm/...s_fatalities_dc

"The improvement in cars was offset by increases in fatalities for motorcyclists, pedestrians and occupants of light trucks, a category that includes minivans, sport utility vehicles and pick-up trucks, figures provided by the agency show. The number of people killed in large trucks also increased by 4.8 percent."

"Fatalities from vehicle rollover accidents increased by 2.1 percent, the agency said. Rollover deaths in SUVs declined but that was more than offset by increases in vans and pickup trucks."

It's funny whenever you hear someone who insists in getting a SUV because since they are bigger, they must be safer. Must be the same people who still believe there are WMDs in Iraq.

2. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So...you'll be getting rid of your Prius?

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 23 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]308085[/snapback]</div>
    Go ahead and see what you want to see. That article does not make any mention of the actual fatality or injury rates for passenger cars or light trucks (AKA SUVs, Vans, and Pickup Trucks). And your article even stated that SUV rollover deaths had declined.

Believe it or not, but fatality and injury rates for light trucks (including SUVs) are indeed less than fatality and injury rates of passenger cars.

Take a look at the two charts I've attached from the following NHTSA publication:
    2004 Final Traffic Safety Facts Annual Report

Passenger car fatality rates are still higher than light trucks, but are catching up. Injury rates for passenger vehicles are still significantly greater than light trucks. Just 10 years ago, they were almost double. Now they are about 25% higher than light trucks.

4. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 23 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]308085[/snapback]</div>
    So more people die in one month on American roads then were killed in Iraq in over three years? How about just making Americans drive their cars in Iraq?

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    DHMO (Di Hyrdogen Monoxide) is a much greater risk.

It contributes to every incidence of Cancer. It is present in very high amounts in most of our foods and beverages.

Among other things:

DHMO contributes to global warming and the "Greenhouse Effect", and is one of the so-called "greenhouse gasses."

DHMO is an "enabling component" of acid rain -- in the absence of sufficient quantities of DHMO, acid rain is not a problem.

DHMO is a causative agent in most instances of soil erosion -- sufficiently high levels of DHMO exacerbate the negative effects of soil erosion.

DHMO is present in nearly every creek, stream, pond, river, lake and reservoir in the U.S. and around the world.

Measurable levels of DHMO have been verified in ice samples taken from both the Arctic and Antarctic ice caps.

Recent massive DHMO exposures have lead to the loss of life and destruction of property in California, the Mid-West, the Philippines, and a number of islands in the Caribbean, to name just a few.

DHMO contributed greatly to the Hurricane Katrina deaths and damage, and yet the government has done nothing about this.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 23 2006, 09:24 AM) [snapback]308200[/snapback]</div>
    No, we should invade car corporations, implement democracies, and then the cars will no longer be a threat to americans.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The fatality rate seems to be about the same for 2004. I think it's safe to throw out the historical data since that was, well, the past...

Anybody have 2005's data? It looks like cars may prove safer than trucks for 2005 if the trend continues...

Nate

8. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Aug 23 2006, 09:37 AM) [snapback]308210[/snapback]</div>
    Ack! And I'm drinking some DHMO RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE!!!!

9. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Marlin, your data is normalized to miles traveled (? odometer reading at time of accident). Look at the same FARS data normalized for vehicle registrations:

[attachmentid=4599]

See how *light trucks* improved, and surpassed passenger cars in since 1983, but have had their advantage since eroded ? Until the reasons why the results are so different based on the denominator, just posting numbers is not very informative.

I'll just add one other thing to think about. Passenger car safety has been adversely affected a lot by the increasing number of light trucks on the roads, while the converse is not true.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Aug 23 2006, 08:51 PM) [snapback]308563[/snapback]</div>
    I think you missed the point. Burritos said:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("burritos")</div>
    implying that he believes that people who think SUVs are safer than passenger cars are stupid, ignorant, crazy, or whatever, because he is equating them with people who still believe there are WMDs in Iraq, and we all know that he thinks such people are stupid, ignorant, crazy, or whatever.

My numbers, and yours by the way, show that he was wrong. For the past 20 years or so, SUVs have had less fatalities per miles traveled and per registered vehicle. Sure, passenger cars have been catching up and have almost broken even in the fatality stats. However, passenger cars are still 25% or so above SUVs in the non-fatal injury rate.

And there is nothing wrong with statistics based on 100 million vehicle miles traveled. In fact, in my opinion, it is a better comparison than vehicles registered, because vehicles registered doesn't take into consideration of how many miles a given class of vehicles is driven. If two classes of vehicles both have a fatality rate of 100 per million registered vehicles, yet one class of vechicles is driven only 1000 miles a year and the other class is driven 10,000 miles a year, do you really believe the fatality rates are the same?

And as for your last point, even if passenger car safety has been impacted by the increasing number of SUVs, SUVs are still safer. If a SUV and a passenger car crash into each other, the passenger car loses. Wouldn't you rather be in the SUV?

So anyhow, my point stands. Burritos is wrong and people who believe that SUVs are safer than passenger cars are not stupid, ignorant, or crazy. Why, because for the past 20 years or so, the statistics show that SUVs have been safer than passenger cars. And even if the fatality rates have equalized in the past year or so, the injury rates are still about 25% higher for passenger cars than they are for SUVs.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 23 2006, 02:59 PM) [snapback]308376[/snapback]</div>
    Now you want to invade Japan and Germany? Wow, that is forward thinking if I have ever seen it. Kind of funny how they were both once totalitarian governments with a long and proud history of invading and killing their neighbors for ions and when the US of A democratized them they have been peaceful citizens of the world - and now you want to invade them again?

I agree that we should have invaded or pre-empted them earlier and saved millions of lives back in the 1930's, but I think you are a bit pre-mature here.

12. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 24 2006, 11:10 AM) [snapback]308802[/snapback]</div>
    Not the countries. Just invade the corporations.

13. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 24 2006, 12:16 PM) [snapback]308807[/snapback]</div>
    And where do these "corporations" exist? In Kumbaya land?? How about Tokyo, Stutgardt, Toyota City, Berlin... Not too many pure American car makers today. Oh yea, Seoul too and dont forget beijing. You are picking on the big boys are you. And I thought you cared about American Military casualty rates - all a false pretense for the libs - they/you dont give a s**t about our military unless is aids your argument.

And you failed to comment on the other aspects of my post - why?

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 24 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]308816[/snapback]</div>
    Why we can go after Hezbollah without invading Lebanon. How many americans have hezbollah killed? How many americans have GM killed?

15. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "Wouldn't you rather be in SUV? The passenger car loses."

This is just false assumption. Many times, the SUV is flipped, and the roof collapses. The smaller car acts like a wedge, flipping the SUV.

I have personally witnessed the outcome of three such accidents, one of which I posted the photo of on PriusChat.

The safest vehicles on the road are minivans. Yes, minivans. If you want to drive the safest vehicle money can buy, get yourself a Kia Sedona.

http://www.kia.com/06sedona/index.php

Nate

16. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 24 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]308816[/snapback]</div>
    Uh, because this is my thread. If you want people to respond to your delusional ideas, why don't you start your own? Oh that's right, people are ignoring your crazy nice person.

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Aug 24 2006, 12:44 PM) [snapback]308828[/snapback]</div>
    I am sorry but you are blowing this big time. Where does Hezbollah live? That is your question # 1. I will give you a hint - it is the same country in which they occupy about 15% of its "parlimentary" (I use that term very very loosely) seats. Another hint - it is located NORTH of Israel.

How many Americans have they killed. For starters you have the 241 AMERICAN MARINES they slaughtered in their barracks in Lebanon (could be I gave away the answer to the above question here) in 1981 to start with.

GM does not kill Americans the same way Smith and Wesson does not and Grey Goose does not. Terrorists killed more Americans in one hour than we have lost in 3 years of war in Iraq? Hitler killed tens of millions when his campaign of terror went unchecked by the liberal spineless people of europe until it was too late - including 500,000 American soldiers who had to go there to clean up the mess - seems a little like history trying to repeat itself here?

You have a very warped sense of reality - but feel free to pay full attention to the first part of this post.

18. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 24 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]308830[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a study that I found with a google search. Can't vouch for it other than to say I found it on the internet. It is based on data from 1994 to 1999.

Any how...
    Vehicle Weight and Fatality Risk for Sport Utility Vehicle–versus–Passenger Car Crashes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("the study")</div>

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Alcohol is responsible for about 39% of those automotive deaths. Should we also declare war on booze because it's an ally?

20. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Aug 24 2006, 01:08 PM) [snapback]308844[/snapback]</div>
    I will give you the answer and you can take it from there. Hezbollah does live in Lebanon. Since you want to get them, how do you do that without invading the country they live in?