1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We need to call Toyota about the delayed deployment of the air bag

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ImeanGreen, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Watching at the recent crash test, I have noticed that there was a delayed deployment of the side curtain air bag and I think we prius v owners need to call toyota about adding a sensor in this frontal offset collision. I don't think it would cost toyota that much for current owners. What do you think guys?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It may be that all that's required is re-timing of the side curtain deployment.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Timing an airbag is very difficult. The milliseconds that it is effective for must be planned carefully. You want to make sure it covers most of the cases most of the time. Not saying it can't be done, but this new frontal offset is a strange and low probability collision that behaves very differently then your average collision that all cars were designed for.

4. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was thinking of addng an extra sensor to the frontal-side aspect of the fender well area just right at the frontal end of the wheel.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Which obviously will have to wait at least until the next refresh, if not the next redesign.

6. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i have an avalon,, had MAJOR headlight issues that Toyota was going to make me pay $4300.00 to resolve. My local dealer was going to give me a "deal" at 50% discount. I went to dealer in Orlando, changed them out free of charge with an apology. You think they care about putting in another sensor? It is said best in another post,,, you make a great car and treat people like crap and you not only lose a sale, the manufacture loses a customer. This case with my Toyota and my local dealer is my ONLY reserve about purchasing a Prius. They could care less about the customer, just put your billfold on the counter,, that is all they want is $$$ could care less about being fair and honest! this seems to be the case with most all dealers not only toyota. It is rare when you find an honest one! what a shame

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe you should share a link to the particular video you are referring to. I'm pretty sure the timing is all based of lessening body injury. in a major frontal impact the steering wheel bag is designed to go off and reach is maximum a split second before the body hits it. the human head swinging to the side in a non side impact isn't as fast as a full frontal, so the bag should be a little delayed. i haven't seen the video so i can't really comment further.

my usual response to a question like this is "leave it to the pros.. and you're not one of those"... this is why they have extremely expensive crash test dummies.. for timing of these systems...

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    They seem convinced some sensor is going to fix it, without the control logic I would have thought necessary.