1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We Road Trip a Porsche Taycan Over 1,000 Miles And Get ICED By a Tesla!

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mostly inoffensive, the video highlighted the continuing problem between claimed fast DC charging rate and the actual vehicle charging curve:
    • 50 kW - our 2014 BMW i3-REx on a 350 kW rated charger means 300 kW would be blocked, six times the capacity.
    • under 100 kW EVs - these are very common including the Bolt, 55 kW.
    In contrast, Tesla increased my Model 3 peak charging rate to 170 kW from initially 100 kW. In parallel, Tesla increased the V2, 120 kW to 150 kW and deploys V3, 250 kW SuperChargers. It is not just the fast DC charger rate but also the vehicle fast DC charging acceptance that need to walk hand-in-hand.

Bob Wilson

3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the video. I really hope Ford, VW, et al works out the plug to charge issue (Fordpass) so we can just plug in like Teslas do without needing a credit card or cell service. Getting the station to start charging seems to be huge problem in most of the videos I see. I've experienced it myself in my PiP on those rare occasions I wanted to do public charging.