1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

We said we're sorry.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    V.A. patient has wrong testicle removed.

"Benjamin Houghton, 47, was to have had his left testicle removed June 14 at the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center because there was a chance it could harbor cancer cells. It also was atrophied and painful.

But doctors mistakenly removed the right testicle, according to medical records and the claim, which seeks $200,000 for future care and unspecified damages. He still hasn't had the other testicle removed."

"Dr. Dean Norman, chief of staff for the Greater Los Angeles VA system, has formally apologized to Houghton and his wife."

I guess he should just be grateful he wasn't at Walter Reed.

So.....should this patient be denied the right to litigate?

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 5 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]418101[/snapback]</div>
    Some how, some way, this has got to be Bush's fault or prehaps some vast right wing conspiracy involving Cheney and Haliburton. ;)

Wildkow

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    He's perfectly within his right to litigate - The doctor screwed up a medical procedure, permanently affecting his ability to reproduce in the future (after all, he still has to have the potentially cancerous one removed).

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Man that really sucks, Hmm does this make him half of a man? If it was a right wing consp. wouldnt they have left the right one in and taken the left out? That way he might lean to the right? I know dint give up my day job because I suck as a comedian... :(

Really the guy should sue, but again they should put a cap on the amount $200,000 for future care? He still hasn't had the other testicle removed, that should be a free surgery....

5. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why can't they reattach it or install a donor testicle?

6. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know any more details of the case, but i bet that they didn't find out until it was too late to attempt any sort of reattachment. As for a donor testicle... What's the point? So you can do the act and have your wife have someone else's baby for it?

7. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 5 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]418260[/snapback]</div>
    At the age of 47, I doubt he's looking to make new babies. And at that age, it would be irresponsible to have future children anyways.

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Unfortunately, these incidents (wrong testicle, breast, etc. removed) happen on occasion. I don't know if there is any greater incidence at VA hospitals than anywhere else. I'm also guessing that the number is actually pretty low, given that when these unfortunate events occur they are widely reported in the news. I have had eye surgery twice (no testicle surgery, fortunately :eek: ), and when you have eye surgery they circle the eye to be operated on with a marking pen, and verify at least three or four times that it's the right (or left) eye.
    That does not make it any better for the victim of the foul-up, and in this case the patient unfortunately has to have this procedure twice, which I imagine has a lot of post-surgery discomfort. Not to imagine the consequence of not having testicles, which I guess means that he'll have to take testosterone. I have never heard of testicle transplants, but that doesn't mean they aren't possible. I'm not a doctor or a lawyer, but $200K seems to be a pretty reasonable amount to seek for damages- I think I'd be after more than that if it was me.
    And no, having one ball doesn't make you "half a man", just like having a breast removed does not make a woman half a woman. I don't think that anyone would call Lance Armstrong "half a man".
    (after all this talk about testicles, I'm sitting with my legs crossed! :huh: )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 5 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]418275[/snapback]</div>
    Is that your decision? Men are capable of fathering children well beyond the age of 47. Being capable of raising them is another matter, but that is an individual decision. I know a number of very capable parents of young children in their 40s or 50s.
    I think we all need to think about overpopulation, but I'm not going to decide for others whether or not it is responsible for them to have children.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 5 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]418163[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the rub: Crappy MD's are hard to get rid of ... then to make matters worse, if (s)he / MD looses license in ONE state, it's likely a license is obtainable in another state. The insurance industry is in a "Win-Win" position because, they pass on Mr. negligent MD's negligent circumstance's to ALL MD's via higher premiums, for their errors/omissions policy. The MD's pass on their higher premius to YOU and I. Meanwhile, you, the victem, are chastized as some kind of skumbag, suit happy creep, because YOU are jacking up the cost of the medical system. At the same time, the insurance lobby is lobbying for tighter laws to regulate ANY MED MAL lawsuits from getting through.

To sum up .... Good Guys / Bad Guys:

Bad Guys: Victems and Attornies and MD's

Good Guys: Insurance Industry

I've been given dirty looks for working as a Public Defender (except for those indigent folks who didn't do it) from many a person, but prior to that, doing ins. defense? It never raised a single person's eyebrow ... except mine. 100's of billions of dollars there ... they rule the world, yet go unnoticed.

10. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 5 2007, 01:24 PM) [snapback]418277[/snapback]</div>
    Sure it's an individual decisions. Lots of things are individual decisions. That doesn't make them all responsible decisions. Creating a child when you are unlikely to be around long enough to raise it is irresponsible. It's really quite simple.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Apr 5 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]418303[/snapback]</div>
    I'll be 50 this year. I'm not planning to have any more kids, but if my wife and I chose to I certainly feel that I would be up to the task of raising them, and given life expectancies these days I'd have every reasonable expectation of living long enough to see my children through college. 47 is not old these days. Assuming that his cancer is successfully treated (which it should be, after removing both balls :eek: ), there's no reason that the guy shouldn't have kids.

12. eagle33199

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed - When considering family history and the increasingly better understanding of the body and health care, it's not unusual for someone to expect to live into their 80's or beyond. The father of one of my best friends in high school was 65 when we graduated - he was in excellent health and seemed much younger, but he was fairly "old" when she was born. That didn't stop him from being a good father and a great guy.

You can't put blanket statements on the population like that - there are exceptions for every rule, and without knowing the personal and family history you don't know what his life expectancy would be.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I bought this up for several reasons.

One is that this isn't the first time I've read of something like this happening at a military hospital. (I consider the V.A. part of the military). Our local military hospital amputated the wrong ARM of a patient (whose arm had become gangrenous due to infection he had picked up in the hospital!) Another incident and it was the wrong LEG of another; diabetic. Granted his is over the course of 20 years. I'm sure there were others I didn't read about. And I'm sure there were other incidents that weren't reported.

I also brought this up because of talk on this board about victims NOT having the right to litigate for damages. Recently the pet food recall brought up this sentiment. So I wondered if the fact that a man was going to be...well...neutered due to medical incompetence...would that sway any opinions.

So, is one testicle worth $200,000?

Is being castrated worth $200,000? (Wouldn't losing both testicles be the same as being castrated?)

If it were you, would you sue? And for how much?

(BTW, when my dog had to have knee surgery, I wrote "THIS LEG" on his leg in felt pen to make sure they got the correct leg."

14. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 5 2007, 02:50 PM) [snapback]418374[/snapback]</div>
    I think this was all started as a "Stupid Bush, Stupid Republicans, Poorly run operation at the hospitals, liberal run off at the mouth" thread.... but weirdly, Prius Chat didn't jump on board with it and help you beat the drum harder....

I didn't google it, but I'm real sure you could have found a dozen articles where someone got the wrong knee, wrong breast, wrong side operated on and the claim is for a whole lot more than $200k..... but the odds are also that those were at private or community hospitals and pointing out any of them wouldn't have flung the venom that you were flinging.

Hope it felt good for at least a couple minutes when you hit post...

15. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 5 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]418374[/snapback]</div>
    The Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs are both cabinet level departments. While the population they both serve overlap, they are two distinct entities in the United States Code (10 USC and 38 USC) and for Congressional funding. The DVA is not staffed by the military in any way, however their civilian staff works FOR the veterans of our military.

To say that the VA (correctly termed the DVA) is part of the military is incorrect.

Dan

P.S. Malpractice is malpractice. I believe he should have the right to litigate.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Apr 5 2007, 03:39 PM) [snapback]418407[/snapback]</div>
    But are you allowed to sue the military if it happens in a military hospital. The arm and leg incidents happened at our local military hospital. I don't think they were active servicemen, I think they were veterans or retired.

Would the same laws regarding litigation cover the VA even if they are a different branch of the goverment?

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 5 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]418393[/snapback]</div>
    I'll jump on the bandwagon: It seems a bit irresponsible (considering fact that we're in a war and experiencing numbers of casualties we wouldn't otherwise) that the current administration has not made any substantive increases to the budgets of the health facilites supporting our soldiers.

This seems fairly obvious, or am I in error?

18. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 5 2007, 06:26 PM) [snapback]418477[/snapback]</div>
    Honestly, I don't know that you can sue the military for medical malpractice. However, military and civilian physicians in the military health care system are subject to the disciplinary actions taken by the licensing authorities in each state or country. Plus, the military has the option to impose judicial or non-judicial punishment on anyone in uniform for infractions against the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), essentially the military's criminal code.

I'm not a lawyer, so I am not familiar with the in's and out's of litigation within the military. I don't know if sovereign immunity applies to medical malpractice cases.

Dan

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Apr 5 2007, 03:40 AM) [snapback]418101[/snapback]</div> I'd give my left nut to prevent something like this happening to me.

20. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy @ Apr 5 2007, 10:15 PM) [snapback]418591[/snapback]</div>
    He wishes he had given his left nut. That was the atrophied cancerous one.