1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weak AC? Changed Blower Motor & Controller but still weak

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jackhyde91, Feb 3, 2020.

1. jackhyde91

jackhyde91 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey yall!

I wanted to post this questions to see if anyone had any insight. My A/C suddenly starting blowing weak a couple of days back. I bought a new blower motor but that didn't help so I headed to junk yard for a blower controller. That didn't help either so now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what's wrong.

The AC blows cold but its just weak. It will eventually get cold but nothing like before. I blew compressed air into the vents and changed out the cabin air filter but its still weak. Is the compressor going out? It seems to be working fine.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The blower would affect air flow. The cubic feet per minute would be the same for outside air for either heating or cooling. It would be slightly different for recirculate because the air path is different. But the blower has nothing at all to do with the vent temperature. If the AC isn't cold that is a separate issue. It is of course possible that both the blower and the AC are not working properly. For an AC which isn't cold most likely there is a leak somewhere and the system is low on refrigerant. As I understand it you do not want to run it like that for very long or it burns out the compressor, and that is a very expensive part. Also dogma is that the Prius AC is very picky about what goes into it, use the wrong oil and again, there goes the compressor. So be careful where you take it for repair. The dealer should have all the right tools and expertise but it isn't clear that every AC repair shop will.

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From your descriptions, I don't think its a blower problem. Have you tried looking at the compressor? Might be problematic. Take a look also at the cabin filter. If its blocked, that's another problem. A system also low on gas can do same problem. Try having the car scanned for trouble codes.