1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weathertech Extreme or OEM All-weather mats in Socal?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by 13PV, May 7, 2013.

?
  1. Weathertech Extreme

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. OEM All-Weather

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm in Socal and aside from those occasional rainy days here during "winter", we don't get too much precipitation. But we do get quite a bit of dust. Do you guys think the Weathertech Extreme is overkill and I should just use the OEM all-weather mats or it's worth it? I'd like to keep our new OEM mats as clean as possible.

Also, I've read that the Weathertech Extreme mats don't provide 100% coverage so if your foot is wet, you could still drip underneath the mat when driving. True story? Are the reviews outdated? Have they made improvements?

2. Lee Bridges

Lee Bridges Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Didn't vote as I don't have experience with both types of floor mats.

The OEM passenger compartment mats, excepting the driver's, slip around as the nubs on back don't mate well with the carpet (I might end up attaching some industrial Velcro to the back). They also have less area coverage compared to the Weathertech mats, but protect well enough enough for what I consider a city commuter car with the occasional road trip. I'm happy with them.

I bought the Weathertech cargo area mat, and it is a great fit. About the only way I see liquid could get into the carpet would be as a dripping wet item crossed the threshold and/or if laid against one of the plastic side panels (pretty much impossible to protect against IMO). I'm happy with it, and am ordering one to fit the wife's 4Runner.

3. vietalogy

vietalogy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm also wondering which ones to get but I live in Michigan where we get snow. I'm leaning more towards the weather tech because it has deeper channels to keep the water from hitting your pants.

Sent via Galaxy S4

4. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have the Toyota all weather mats and live in eastern PA. The mats are adequate for the amount of snow we get and probably would be ok in more norther areas. The Toyota driver side mat fastens the same as the oem carpet mats. That was a concern for me. Don't want to worry about the mats getting trapped under the gas pedal.

5. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    i've also been looking at pictures of the weathertech extreme mats for the rear. I think there is a vent near your feet in the rear (if I'm correct)? If that's the case, won't the weathertech extreme mats block those vents that were meant for the rear passengers' feet?

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    All the concerns raised above about the Weathertech are non-issues to me.

I took out the drivers side removable carpet mat that was included with the SET Package Three v I bought and installed Weathertech mats in the front, rear and trunk. Left the passenger side in and installed the Weatherteh on top. Figured it gave extra insulation.

Bought them at the dealer's and asked for a new-car buyers discount which made them cheaper than buying online.

In 6 months I've had them out several times to hose them off as they absorbed mud, rain, snow and debris from grandkids. I've hauled everything in the trunk from trash to loose yard debris to shedding Xmas tree and just pull the mats and hose them off and let them dry in the sun.

The rears block nothing.

The driver's side front mat installs just as the OEM mat did with a hook through a hole in the mat.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The hook attachment is a nice safety feature! Thanks for that info! The Husky Liner one has a bump where that "hook" goes, I guess so that nothing drains out through a hole there.

9. 13PV

13PV Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    thanks for your input.

i ended up going with the weather techs and installed them just the same.

haven't had any complaints yet - will report back after longer use if i have any complaints.

10. antech5

antech5 Member

factory all weather floor mats are cheaply made, they are way too thin and flimsy as compared to their 2nd generation prius all weather floor mats, they lack the deep groves that came on the 2nd gen mats . Dirt/sand always get around and under the mats. The back mats are a total joke, they constantly move around, I am planning on getting a set of either weather techs or the husky brands as the rears are all one piece and thicker to provide a better fit and will not move around. What is the point of all weather floor mats when they move around and don't provide protection against dirt/sand. I am in California, so we don't get much rain/mud.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only have a week on Toyota liftback all weather's, but they didn't strike me as being so thin. they seem worth the $100 price.

12. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The drivers side attachment hole has a raised lip around it and as the general slope of the footwell is forward I can't imagine a boot with snow or the like getting enough on to cause leakage. And if it did, I'd have the original Toyota carpet mat to reinstall.

I took 2 grandkids horseback riding today after probably 5 days and 10" of rain. Imagine a saddling area with 4" of mud and dung. Their boots coming home sat on the rear seat footwells and mine in the trunk area. Exactly why I got the mats. Took me a lot less time to clean the Weathertech Extreme mats with a hose than it did me their shoes over a sink with a brush. Their stiffness makes for an easy one person reinstall.

13. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the weather tech mats in the 09 and the Toyota mats my new v. The weathertech mats are by far superior. Material wise, they're just higher quality. They catch debris and liquid better, too. The only reason I got the Toyota mats in the new car is because I got the dealer to throw them in for free so i wouldn't have to pay $150 for a set of weathertechs.

14. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, I agree with all of the above. The Toyota mats are much softer and flimsier...

15. MaggieM11

MaggieM11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you like the husky liners? I'm trying to decide between weather tech and husky liners and need to decide fast!

16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I like them. There was a concern about the rear seat liners blocking the vents under the front seats, but I've looked at them, (not really blocking,) and asked my son whether he feels warm in the back, (and he's really picky about warmth,) and he said he's fine. I like the warranty on them as they are lifetime, but I haven't yet had to file a claim so can't say anything about the return process.

17. MaggieM11

MaggieM11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your feedback! After lots of research I'm leaning towards weather tech. They are located 15 mins away from me so I can go pick up the mats myself. The biggest thing is the spiky underside. I have the softex seats and don't want to worry about scratching up the seats taking them out and putting them in after cleaning and such.

18. mikefocke

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have weathertech (trunk too) and softex and have taken the mats out covered in mud from a rainy day, grandkids and a horse farm they just had to be at. No problem getting them in/out over the seats. I left the passenger's side carpet/mat in place and just put the weathertech over it for sound/insulation reasons. The driver's side carpet I removed so I could securely attach the weathertech to the factory mount that fits nicely through the hole in the rubber mat. Probably my third set of weathertech mats for various cars.

19. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, the OEM carpet mats fit nicely inside the WeatherTech floor liners.

20. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Weather Tech is better than OEM all weather mats. But preferred Husky Liners. Tried both the Weather tech and the Husky Liners in the past and leaned more on the Husky Liners. Both will serve you well. Just a personal preference - no holes.