1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WeatherTech - jury still out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pashadc, Apr 16, 2008.

1. pashadc

pashadc Pasha DC

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am quite shocked at what I just had happen with a WeatherTech sales associate. I had purchased the WeatherTech floor mats for a 2008 Prius in tan to match my bisque interior and when they arrived they did not even fit my 2008 Prius. Plus the tan color clashed with the bisque interior. I called the company and was told they fit the Camry and are not fitted for the Prius, but since the Camry has a similar "footprint", they sell them as Prius ones.

OK - I was just a bit peaved about this, but thought - well - they gave me a return Authorization number so I sent them back. I just called to see if they have arrived and they said they did, but that they had been used and were dirty. I only took them out long enough to place them in my car and see that they did not fit. I sent them back in exact perfect condition that they arrive.

All this to say that I have touted WeatherTech as a great mat before on this site and now I am going to rescind that until I see that they have refunded all of my monies for that purchase.

I will let you know what happens.

2. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not very impressed with WeatherTech myself.

We ordered a pair for our '98 Camry. Knowing that it was a sorta fit.

Well, the sorta fit took a bunch of trimming and a couple of "punches" through the mat with a pair of scissors to fit the "floor pins."

Yeah, they are thick and quality. But the rubber queen mats I bought for $12 at Costco for my old Corolla were as thick and took the same amount of trimming and punching to fit.

In other words, go with the original Toyota mats for $100 or more and they will fit. Or buy Rubber Queen or WeatherTech and expect to do a bit of trimming. Only diff is Rubber Queen will be about a fifth of the cost.

3. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm hoping I have better luck w/ the weather-tech rainguards. :(

4. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    WeatherTech sells both mats and liners. The liners are apparently custom fitted while the mats are not.

I have the 2008 liners for my Prius and they fit precisely. No issues at all.

5. barrybud

barrybud New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had the WeatherTech rain guards on my old CTS and the install was so nice how they slipped into the window track instead of using double sided tape. They did add a bit or wind noise even with the windows closed.

Please let us know if they do the same on your car.

Thanks!

6. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yeah, I figured they'd add some wind noise.

I wish they had a better pic so I could see the difference between the light tint & dark tint.

7. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Stick with OEM, I use them and they work great.

8. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I would go with the OEM floor mats as well. I had weathertech rubber floor mats in two different 4Runners and OEM Toyota/Lexus rubber floor mats in my IS250. I liked the Weathertech mats, but I found them to be made of cheaper rubber than the OEM, they fade faster than the OEM and do not fit as well as the OEM Toyota mats. The OEM mats fit great and the ridges are not sharp like the Weathertech floor mats, they also seemed easier to clean, and didnt show wear. Also, Im not for sure about the OEM all-weather Prius mats, but I know the IS250 mats I bought on ebay from a Lexus dealership in Texas, they only cost about 59 bucks for front and rear, better than 99 bucks for Weathertech mats.

9. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am another person that dislikes WeatherTech. I had purchased their window deflectors and they have scrached the glass on every car I put them on. They are a good design...slim and don't stick out...and scratch glass. No thanks!

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They state that the mats are not a direct fit for the Prius bu tit is a little difficult to find the fine print if you are not used to looking for such things.

The WeatherTech Liners are a direct fit and they fit well. It would be nice if they were a bit thicker though.

11. cyberprius

cyberprius Mtn Bikes don't need foglights

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Roughskin as your avatar???

12. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a pair of weather tech mat's up front, and no they don't fit nicely, Ive had them for a year, and have yet to trim them. It really doesnt bother me, i notice thay have turned a ash color though, probably from washing them with the hose..which is hard hard water..might replace with oem once these get RUFF lookin

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    California Newt (they prefer drier areas than the Rough Skinned). I just liked the pic. Lil sucker wouldn't sit still so I had to hold him to take the pic. lol

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Please do keep in mind the difference between the Weathertech mats and the Weathertech liners. The mats (found here) are only a "semi-custom" fit and require some trimming to fit perfectly in the Prius. The box says they are for the Camry, but Weathertech sells them for some 30 different car models. See, if you had gotten them from PriusChat you would have seen in the "Notes" section that we are very up-front with their "semi-custom fit". :D

The liners (found here) are custom-fit for the Prius and are wonderful, high-grade liners with a nice "lip" around the edge to keep all of the gunk on your mat and off of your carpet. They are more expensive, but definitely worth it in my opinion.

If you're looking for just a set of black all weather mats, I'd go with the OEM Toyota ones, or the ExactMats if you want to keep your carpet mats in the car.