1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WeatherTech Window Deflectors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by slimjimlim, Oct 10, 2006.

1. slimjimlim

slimjimlim New Member

I'm having trouble installing the rear side window deflector. I have 2 manual. One said peel of the sticky and install it. The other one said, use the retention clip to install with the window deflector. I called customer service and it didn't really help.

My main problem is with the retention clip, I know that it is made to told the window deflector but the way the instruction show seem impossible. If anybody have pictures of step by step, that would help.

Right now, I took one of the stickers off the deflector and close the window, I don't know if that's gonna help but i'm so fed up that I had to do something.

2. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

I just got my window deflectors from Sigma today. I too had problems interpreting the instruction on the rear window retention clips. It seems IMPOSSIBLE to put the clip into the back of the channel. I think that the clip is meant to be placed INSIDE the groove where the window slides closed. But, by doing this, you risk SCRATCHING your glass against the metal.

So, I gave up on the retention clip and instead bought some clear silicone sealant and lightly applied a thin bead along the curve edge of the deflector (towards the outside). At least it'll hold the thing in place when the windows are down.

Hope this helps.

Vince.

3. slimjimlim

slimjimlim New Member

Where did you get the silicone sealant? Hardware store?

I to was scared of the retention clip scratching my window and deflector.

4. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Yup. Any automotive or hardware store will have em. Just ask for all-weather silicone.

Vince.

5. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    do a search; someone previously posted here corrected (and more clear) instructions from Weathertech on how to put those clips in the rear. (You use both the clips and the adhesive.)

6. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The clips go into the window channel with the curved segment leading down and toward the outside of the car. Remember that the deflector slips into the channel on the outside of this curved piece, not the inside. I nearly broke one of mine figuring this out. It takes some careful fiddling to get the deflector to seat in place without the clip falling out again. But once done, the pressure between the clip and the deflector hold everything in place without any need for adhesive.

7. slimjimlim

slimjimlim New Member

so what your saying is, the retention clip goes on the rubber part of the window and the window deflector goes in the window channel? That part confuses me the most because i'm thinking that i'm gonna break the window deflector. I guess i'll go home and try that, thanx a lot.

8. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

So, that means that the retention clip actually will be sitting within the rubber channel and then the deflector will be slid over the clip and the outside rubber seal. Hmmmm, that would certainly be a hard thing to do....especially if you have to struggle with both sides with the adhesive on it. AND, it would seem that the glass window (top edge) will be constantly hitting up against the metal retention clips on the closed position.

I would really recommend just using a clear silicone seal like I did (by applying a thin bead of it along the outside-facing edge of the top part of the deflector. Once it dries, it adheres to the rubber seal very well and dries invisibly clear.

Just my advice.

Vince.

9. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vinny @ Oct 12 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]331822[/snapback]</div>
    I had the rears on my 2005 Prius, and then moved them to my 2006 Prius, and then took them off, as I liked the look fine with just the fronts on. (I have a post here somewhere with the rears for sale.)

Once you get the hang of it, they go in easily, and no problem with window hitting clips. As I recall, the back of the clip (the part toward the inside of the car) does hook behind a lip or something on the rubber seal, once you've pulled the inside part of the seal out a bit with the provided tool.

rpm

10. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I 'invented' a way to use the supplied tool to get the clips installed. It involved using the curved end jammed in between the clip and the rubber, so you could get things tucked in then yank the tool out.

Without a need to do it again, I can't remember details well enough to describe it better...

11. Pious

Pious New Member

What are the advantages of installing window deflectors?

Thanks!

12. slimjimlim

slimjimlim New Member

One is to keep the rain out especially when its hot outside in a muggy place if you don't want to use your A/C.

Block a small portion of sun out of your face, hehe.

13. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I found my copy of the "corrected" instruction page (actually it's more of a drawing) that clarifies how the clips and the rear pieces go in...
    if anyone would like it, PM me a fax no. and I'll fax it to you.

rpm

14. DGH

DGH Thread Terminator

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pious @ Oct 12 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]331921[/snapback]</div>
    As mentioned, so you can crack the windows when it's raining.
    Without deflectors, you get a soaked arm and armrest.
    In the "old" days, cars came with raingutters, no more, due to the slight MPG hit that relates to fleet averages and styling issues.

Dan.

15. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'd say best thing is that you can crack the windows (an inch or more) in hot weather, without worrying about a surprise rainstorm or something. I leave it that way while parked at work, the mall, etc. in summer.
    Also, when you're driving, you can put the driver's window down, arm on the door frame, and you don't get that sideways blast of wind quite so much.

rpm

16. slimjimlim

slimjimlim New Member

Has anybody tinted their window with the deflector on? I hope it doesn't like cut it or damages it.