1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wee spots of water in my headlight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Feb 1, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's 2 small drips of dried water (and maybe soap) inside the upper half of my headlight on the glass. I first noticed this after I washed my car very thoroughly this weekend (I was spraying water on it for a long time). I suspect water/soap might have seeped through during the wash.

I know this is not supposed to happen, but is it a legitimate cause of concern? I'm thinking of letting this fly by, I can live with it, but perhaps not if it keeps happening every time I wash my car. Is it safe to wait on a trip to the dealership, or should I get it checked out right away?

BTW, I'm @ 30k miles

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes it's a concern, considering the replacement costs for these lights. Could you imagine what will happen if water gets in there during a huge rain storm and you are on the road at night.

It's one reason why I hate these type of lights, but sadly they are now the norm.

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What "type of lights" are you talking about? They've seen heavy rain before and it never happened (at least I didn't notice). It might have been due to the angle I was spraying the hose, made it easy for a couple drops of water to get in. There is no condensation, yellowing, or any other symptoms of a bad seal.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just want to see if I'm being too picky about my car. Is this covered under the Platinum warranty anyway?

4. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm talking about the headlight units that are all one sealed part, where you can't take the lens off to clean inside them. They are expensive to replace and when they leak, you can't clean the inside.

It shouldn't matter what angle you spray the water, the headlights should not leak. Not sure if your issue is covered under the warranty now.

Another issue with these type of headlights is that the plastic cover has a UV coating that ends up peeling over time. I have had 2 cars with these headlights and both peeled. Yes you can buff this off and make it look new again, but once the UV coating is gone then the plastic will turn yellow and get brittle.

I long for the days of those replaceable glass headlights, that rarely had any issues.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm afraid you're probably right.

I said I'm at 30k miles.

I have yet to see a Prius "peel" like you are referring to. Until I do, I don't really believe you. What kind of cars did this?

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't noticed "peeling" with the Prius plastic headlight assembly. However it is true that given sufficient exposure to strong sunlight, the clear plastic will become cloudy. I noticed that with my 2001 and 2004.

As Rest mentioned, it is possible to use plastic cleaner to buff the discoloration out of the plastic, but it will return.

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Did you see actual wet water in the assembly or just after it had dried? Some condensation isn't a big deal, and I have experienced that on every car pretty much. If it becomes a chronic thing, its a bigger issue.

As for the clouding and peeling, he's right. The headlights will become yellow and cloudy over time if the car is parked outside, and if it becomes really bad they can peel...but thats pretty unlikely. But the cloudy yellow headlights are really an eyesore.

You can repair them with a kit like the ClearVue headlight restoration kit that has a replacement spray on UV coating.

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great probing questions Steve. I did not notice water inside the assembly when it was wet. I only saw it after it had dried. What does this mean?

Also, other than at work, I do not park outside. The car is in my garage most of the time. So the yellowing issue doesn't worry me much - unless of course this drip turns into something more.

I wish I could take a picture now to show you the drip. A picture is worth a thousand words. But just to give you an idea of what it looks like, it starts at the top of the driver's side headlight very very faintly, and the drip branches into a 'Y' (more like an upside down Y actually) The ends of the drip are less faint of course. All of this takes place in ~2".

I was thinking of swinging by the dealership today but I'd much rather just go home. I'm exhausted.

Thanks guys.

9. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you post a picture of the spots you describe?

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alright, you wouldn't believe how hard it was to get a picture of this. Try to see if you can find the spot/streak. Give up? Ok it's to the northwest of the bright glare. The other streak lies parallel to that one.

I swung by the dealership and showed them. The service lady Brenda noticed it right away. She pulled her partner and he saw it too, even though it took him longer. They've never seen that before. They said it wouldn't be covered under the Platinum warranty since its cosmetic (Really, cosmetic? I'll put that in my back pocket), but to keep my eye on it closely since it is covered under the 36k/3 year warranty.

Anyways, I'll definitely have to wash my car a few more times and see what happens. I'm just glad for now I got the photographic proof and dealership "I'm not actually going crazy" approval.

Attached Files:

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Are you still in the 36K 3 Year? I'd have it replaced then.

The reason I asked if you only saw it when it was dry was it indicates a smaller leak. After a wash you would be likely to see moisture and condensation if it was a big leak.

I had something similar happen to my '03 Lexus after it was out of the warranty. You would get condensation in one headlight but only after a wash, the high pressure spray broke the seal but rain never did. It also has some slight marks inside from the moisture. Not covered under the platinum Lexus extended warranty either.

That one light assembly is probably $600 at least, so if you're in the original warranty and they will replace it, I'd have it replaced in case it gets worse.

As for the yellowing, it will happen it will just take longer. I started to get some slight yellowing on the old Lexus after about 6 years, 130k miles even though it was always garaged.

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've repeatedly said I'm under 36k lol.

Your Lexus experience sounds like mine. So is this normal under high powered washes? What's the chance that my new headlight does the same thing?

Like I said I have 6000 miles before I hit that dreaded 36k so hopefully I get a few washes in there and I can see what happens again.

13. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think its that the seals of the lights are not designed to hold up to the high pressure water spray of a hose or a carwash, nor the angles one might spray from. I tend to ease up on the hose nozzle when I'm around the lamp housings and such.

I'd say if you're careful you may never see it again on this lamp or a replacement lamp...

1 person likes this.
  14. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So let's say I wash my car a couple of more times and this doesn't happen because I'm careful around the lamp housing. Should I still get it replaced?

15. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You have the balance of your 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty to determine whether this was a fluke or a condition inwhich you feel you can live with. And really? Only you can answer that.

I don't know what climate you live in, but in general? I'd lean towards getting it replaced.

But only time and experience will show you whether moisture is getting in ONLY under high pressure spray...and/or it is a problem that is happening more frequently under lesser conditions.

At this point? I'd say you don't have to panic. You've got some time to see how big a problem this may or may NOT be....but if you see it reoccuring? I'd consider strongly trying to get it remedied through replacement...moisture in headlight housings on ANY vehicle is not a good thing. And obviously it's better to try and remedy this now, while it is new and under warranty.

1 person likes this.
  16. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really afraid this might be an anomoly and I won't be able to catch it happening again in 6000 miles. But that it might happen again much later. Do they have a warranty or grace-period on replaced parts? I have the feeling a new lamp could be as bad or worse.

But yeah, regardless, I'm leaning towards getting it replaced anyway.

17. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I would definitely have it replaced under warranty since you're still under the warranty. No reason not to.

If you were paying for it yourself, I'd tell you to skip it.

18. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I calculated I have safely 4.5 more months before hitting 35k-36k mile mark. The next time I wash my car (maybe in a couple weeks already) I'm doing the long high power wash and see what happens.

I'll also test the passenger side headlight heavily. My water hose comes from the driver's side so I may spend more time washing there, which is why the spot only was on the driver's side headlight.

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went to Toyota this morning to finally have it officially diagnosed. The result is I need a new headlight assembly. It's not going to re-seal itself. Now I just sit back and wait for the part to come in. It should take no longer than an hour to replace. The dealership is making this really easy! :D

20. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Believe what you want, but this issue is a fact. You will see this on your headlights soon enough. It happens to all vehicles with plastic headlights.