1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weight and Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by bshef, Mar 8, 2007.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If new Rims and tires that weigh 2 pounds more then the stock rims can have a noticeable effect on mileage.....
    Just how much of an effect does weight overall have on getting better mileage.

Say, for example, the stock seats Weigh "X"lbs......
    Replace these with seats that weigh X-10lbs......what would the realization in gas mileage be?

This is just a hypothetical question but I don't see many threads discussing ways to reduce weight.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow. To my knowledge such comparisons and calculations have not been performed in a controlled environment.

I know one person who believes that the inconvenience of having to call a tow truck is worth ditching the weight of the spare tire.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Mar 8 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]402327[/snapback]</div>
    First thing the weight of the rims/tires doesn't really have any relationship to the weight of the vehicle...the relative impact will be much greater for the rims than any weight in the cabin.

A seat weight minus 10lbs would be almost impossible to measure the impact on FE. But if both front seats were 10lbs lighter and the back seat was 20 lbs lighter and you removed 60lbs of excess weight elsewhere inside the car you might appreciate a small improvement in FE. Keeping overall vehicle weight low will help FE in direct proportion to the amount of weight.

4. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Mar 8 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]402358[/snapback]</div>
    This is a very interesting question.

Weight in itself has very small effect on gas mileage. Lets consider a steady state driving condition: you are cruising along on a flat freeway. The weight contributes to bearing and tire friction. This energy loss is fairly small as compared to the energy required to overcome wind resistance. So, driving along on the freeway, if your car almost weighed nothing but had the same wind resistance - it would only get a 10 or 20 percent improvement in gas mileage.

Now, lets look at the other situation: You are in town, with a lot of starts and stops... but never really go faster than about 40 MPH. In that situation, weight is very important and wind resistance is a lot less so. In this scenario, the weight impacts how you accelerate and deccelerate the car. The heavier the car, the more work it takes to bring it up to speed; and the more energy has to be dissipated to slow it down. These issues also apply to going up and down a hill. In the case of the rims, weight is even more important because not only do you have to bring the weight up to speed - but you also have to spin it up (rotational momentum). As a simple rule of thumb, 1 lb of rim weight is equivalent to 10 lbs of vehicle weight.

One thing to consider is that weight reduction is much more important during the design phase of the car versus you trying to slightly reduce the weight of the car that you already own and operate. The reason for this is that the weight of the car is directly related to the size of engine (in terms of peak HP) that will be required to achieve satisfactory acceleration of the car. A smaller engine generally results in better gas mileage.

5. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

Believe it or not, 50 years ago back seats were optional for Chevies. They were called "Business Coupes." Weight saving was one consideration, I think they saved about 60 pounds total, but cost was the main reason. Back then everybody watched every dollar they had. Also, when they were used for racing the people wanted the lightest car possible.

The website I found, http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/fuelalrt.htm states that eliminating 100 lbs is worth an extra 2% for fuel economy. Since it is a government website I know everything there is true too.

An extra 2% at 50 mpg would give you a 1 mpg improvement for a 100 lb reduction, or a 0.1 mpg improvement for a 10 lb reduction. And among the Prius community that could be the difference between ordinary and great, or great and spectacular.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Mar 8 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]402327[/snapback]</div>
    Weight has two direct effects:
    • Increases rolling resistance slightly
    • Adding acceleration/deceleration energy requirements - some of which is lost in the cycle
    Adding weight to the rims (or tires) multiplies the second effect due to the increase energy required to spin the tires which is in addition to the energy needed to linearly accelerate the same weight.

So seat weight has a smaller effect than an equal wheel weight.

JeffD

7. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm with Jeff.... weight of your tires affect gas milage MUCH more then weight in the cabin. Having to sping those extra two pounds around at 60RPM (or whatever speed tires turn at) will make an impact. Not sure how much.

Not sure I know why, but for motorcycles lighter wheels make quite a difference same on bicycles where having a heavy wheel can be felt

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Mar 8 2007, 03:46 PM) [snapback]402400[/snapback]</div>
    Tire and wheel weight is unsprung, meaning it goes up and down over every bump. The up and down motion burns energy as heat in form of tire flex and shock absorber heat.

Tom

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sub3marathonman @ Mar 8 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]402378[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is that a business coupe was marketed to a travelling salesman. The missing seat gave him extra and convenient space for his sample cases.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Mar 8 2007, 10:54 AM) [snapback]402327[/snapback]</div>
    Try losing 10lbs and tell us the result :D :D :D :p