1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weight capacity for trunk

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dhaval1981, May 17, 2011.

1. dhaval1981

dhaval1981 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi guys, I sell wine for a living and carry cases of wine in the car at times and not just your normal case I'm talking 4lt jug cases, is it safe to have them stacked just on one side in the trunk, cause I heard the floor is some type of platic and may cave in, handling aside do you really think there will be a problem ?

Also what is the weight capacity for just the truck if anyone has any ideas ?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm not sure why you "heard the floor is some type of platic". You can easily tell what material the rear cargo floor is made out of by lifting it up. I suppose you could place something over the top to help w/distributing the load across a larger area.

I can't speak for the trunk only, but the max load capacity of the 3rd gen Prius, including drivers and passenger(s) is 825 lbs (at least per Consumer Reports).

3. dhaval1981

dhaval1981 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I guess I could have checked myself, was smart enough to buy a Prius, but not check that myself lol

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i 've had a few hundred lb's back there no prolemo. you might wanna throw in a sheet of 1/2" ply if you're gonna stack em on one side.

5. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IIRC, the payload capacity is about 700 lb - 800lb including driver.

If you fold down the rear seats and put down couple pieces of cardboard or a cut-to-size sheet of plywood, I imagine you can carry about 55 jugs of wine if they weigh about 9-10 lb each.

I would distribute the weight from the middle of the vehicle, back to the rear wheels to keep the car balanced.

Would suck if a bottle broke. Buy some Scotch Gard.

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    (corrected wrong numbers...)
    Please refer to page-260 of owners manual.
    ---
    Capacity and distribution
    (Cargo capacity) = (Total load capacity) — (Total weight of occupants)
    Total load capacity = 825 lbs.
    Cargo capacity = 825 - 5X150 (five passengers) = 75 lbs.
    ---

Ken@Japan

7. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Edit:
    Found some info using google:
    Prius Gen III
    GVWR: 3,979
    Curb Weight: 3,042

Payload: 825 according to cars.com
    885 according to eere.energy.gov
    937 if you subtract curb weight from GVWR

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Right, Ken1784's earlier statement of 1400 lb. total load capacity couldn't be right. The max typical load (including passengers ) for 5 passenger cars (at least small to medium sized) is usually in the high 700 lb. to mid 900 lb. range, regardless of country of origin.

Max load should be approximately GVWR - curb weight.

This topic has come up a bunch of times before. These articles mention some example capacities: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...afe-road-trip/overview/0608_pack-your-car.htm and http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ur-weight/overview/pulling-your-weight-ov.htm.

Previous discussions:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...4351-what-total-load-capacity-2010-prius.html
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/20812-810-pounds-maximum-weight.html (for 2nd gen, unfortunately the links in my posts there are dead due to a Priuschat re-org)

edit: Surprisingly, it looks like the table at http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/types/exterior-and-cargo-comparison.htm is available even to non-subscribers. For those who have never looked into these numbers, the max load values may surprise you.

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you put a lot of weight in the car make sure the tire pressures are up. The max load printed on the sidewall of your tires are for the pressure indicated, probably 44 psi for your size tires.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have driven 900 plus miles on a few trips in our rental Prii with the car loaded to the roof and under the front seats with glassware. The car would hit the bump stops on larger bumps. They still got ~43 mpg running down the Interstates loaded that way. If you are taking trips across town, I would not be concerned as long as the suspension still has some room to go down with the car loaded. As the other fellow said, pump up those tires to the rated psi on the sidewall when you run loaded so heavy. The car will handle a bit odd loaded like that as the chassis is flexing causing rear tire steer. It just requires a bit of correction with the steering wheel :p This is just what I do, not recommended, but it has worked for several thousand miles of road trips in the Gen III Prii I rent.

Mike

11. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have placed more in the car that the ratings. Just curious why the load will only be on one side???

I wouldn't be worried about the plastic but would be concerned overlaoading for the suspension / tires.