1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weight limit in trunk?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DetPrius, Sep 28, 2009.

1. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've looked in the manual and tried searching the forums. How much weight can be put in the trunk without causing the floor to collapse? I'm not talking about the underfloor storage but the main cargo area. The floor, which can be lifted for the underneath storage, is made of plastic but I don't know what it has inside for structural support. I bring 40 pound bags of salt home for the water softener and wonder how many I can put back there without causing the floor to collapse. I know I can put some on the floor behind the front seats but may need at time to use the trunk if I have back seat passengers. Has anyone put significant amounts of weight back there yet with no problem?

2. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Difficult question as the load distribution has a lot to do with your general question. However if you're loading 40# bags which are spreading the load out fairly even, I would think you could pretty much go up to the GVWR (which is not a lot after you deduct for passenger weight.) To minimize concerns, you could put a piece of plywood under the load to protect from pressure points being created

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've carried 60 lb bags of sand, two layers, side to side in the GII. I've also folded down the rear seatbacks, and carried 12 bags in the car. This comes close to exceeding GVWR (check your doorpost for that). The car reacted like it was heavy, but handled well. If you have passengers in the back they will take you very close to GVWR, probably limiting you to 4-6 bags just from weight.

If you're going to be carrying that much weight, make sure the tires are inflated close to the limit (see sidewall for "load carrying capacity xxx lbs at yy PSI"). The "yy" is the max. recommended inflation pressure, and is needed if you are getting close to GVWR.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For a distributed load as the OP describes, the weight limit for the car will come into play before structural failure of the hatch floor becomes a worry.

Tom

5. DetPrius

DetPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought about folding down the rear seats and putting them there or the plywood for weight distribution which is another great idea. I would normally do this without passengers so even if I did 8 bags, I would be fine on the weight limit.

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wouldn't think 8 bags with the seats up would be a problem. That's only 320 #. Me at 250# putting all my weight on a knee (focused pressure point) would do more harm than that weight laid out flat.