1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird corrosion/rust on this 2018 Eco I might buy

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Tardis Blue, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Tardis Blue

Tardis Blue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Was looking to get this 2018 Eco, but I noticed some weird corrosion that is not on anything like my current 2010. I first spotted it on the cargo tie-downs and the rear deck lift handle, then a bit on the jack itself and spots here and there. I unzipped the two back seats and found some more, then also under the driver seat rail.

This is a one-owner Florida car with only 33K miles and a clean carfax. Maybe a surfer or fisherman that just threw saltwater stuff in the back a lot? Car seems fine otherwise.

Anyone think this is something to worry about? Could the battery pack be affected? Just surface rust that probably won't get any worse? Or are these 10-foot-pole marks (as in, wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole)?

Cargo Tiedowns.jpg

DeckHandle.jpg

Rear Seats.jpg
    Jack storage area.jpg

Clean Under Deck.jpg

DriversSeat.jpg

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What country are you in?

What are the bolts under the bonnet like? And - climb underneath and check the bolts/nuts on suspension etc.

3. Tardis Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is Atlantic coast of Florida, USA. Engine compartment is spotless, undercarriage seems fine, and no other signs of corrosion that I could see anywhere else.
    Car is being sold through a dealership at toyotaofmelbourne website, VIN is JTDKARFU2J3063685

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you buy this use car sight unseen from an internet web site?

5. Tardis Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have not bought it. It's for sale at the local dealership now. I would take it, but not sure how concerned I should be about this corrosion.

6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think he/she is only considering it at this stage?

Merkey likes this.
  7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Looks like that rust that occurs from people who live next to the ocean. The salty air, alone, causes everything to rust like that over time.

But, yes, I used to exercise next to the ocean. My Shield 9mm rusted like nobody's business from putting it back on after being out there.

Your Prius could have been used by a scuba diver. The drainage from ocean scuba diving rusted out two truck tailgates on me.

Merkey likes this.
  8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmm....I recently bought a 2008 Prius that spent it's entire 280k mile life in Myrtle Beach. It has nothing like that. Maybe it wasn't close enough to the waves........unless I was extremely confident of that car's history, I would pass..

maybe find another similar age model and inspect it to see if it's rusted in the same manner.

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Flood damage???

10. Tardis Blue

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, definitely looks like a scuba diver or some other ocean sport. It's a pretty good deal, certified pre-owned from the dealer, and only 3 years old, so I wonder if I should just consider that rust cosmetic or a sign of more trouble than I want to deal with.

11. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Looked cosmetic to me. You may want to clean and protect/paint the cross-bar behind the rear seat, and spray some dry type of rust protectant on the items you've pictured.

With it in that area, perhaps pull up on the rear seat's base to check the battery compartment.

12. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    walk away, too many other priuses that don't have that problem for sale. who knows how far the rusting has sneaked in.

13. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Worse yet, if the electrical connectors have or are starting to corrode. That would become a never ending nightmare.

RRxing and Mendel Leisk like this.