1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Electronic issue after oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PeterPrius, Feb 19, 2011.

1. PeterPrius

PeterPrius Hers is a 2009 Prius, non-SKS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My sweetheart's 2009 Prius acts just plain weird after an oil change a few days ago.

The change was not done at a Toyota Dealership, but at the excellent used dealership. Good people but methinks someone totally blew it?

To wit, her clocks changes to 1:00 each day it starts up for the first time..

It's a non-SKS fob; she turns the engine off, removes the key and the engine starts up again, no other buttons touched.

He gas gauge shows empty blinking square on a full tank of gas until she drives approx 1/2 mile or more and then all the squares display in the fuel gauge.

She complains that it feels sluggish, slow to respond.

And the overall consumption graph and numbers reset each time she starts the car.

So, besides an oil change, whatever else happened? Somebody drop a Jr. Mint into the engine area?

What would YOU do to find out what the heck happened without going back to the technicians who totally botched this oil change?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car needs a new 12V battery. This has nothing to do with the engine oil change.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OTOH, it might be more than coincidence: how long did they have the car? Maybe they left some courtesy light on, due an ajar door? Something like that? Hard to prove though.

4. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100% with Patrick's conclusion. I'd also like to recommend the Optima replacement, it's a much better battery for about the same cost, and you can even install it yourself if you have a few hand tools. There is a kit available that includes good instructions and all parts needed.

5. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. I trust Patrick, and I like the seconding of his flawless diagnosis that I've seen in other posts.

But here's something else I hadn't thought of. This 2009 Prius has only 44k miles on it. If it needs a battery, then how did it wear out so fast when the oil techs had it for only 45 minutes?

I don't doubt it needs a battery, but is it normal for a 44k battery wear out that quick? Is there some kind of misstep by the oil technician that could have resulted in this? Like maybe he didn't know how to turn off the car? Silly, but I wasn't there....

6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not normal for a 12V battery to wear out after only 2 years, given 44K miles on the odometer which implies the battery is getting plenty of charging time.

It is possible that the oil change place left the car IG-ON (where all instrument panel warning lights remain on) which places a very high drain on the 12V battery. Good luck proving that, however.

7. pEEf

pEEf Engineer - EV nut

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Typically these batteries last from 2-4 years, though depending on many factors the life can be shorter.

I would have suggested Mendel's idea that the battery could simply have been discharged if the Tech left the car in Ig-On mode or something, but because your wife has been driving the car, the battery would have had time to recharge by now.

What's happening is the voltage is sagging below 10v when the car is turned on, and the memory of things like the Fuel Gauge, Clock, MFD, etc, is being reset. Once the car goes ready, the DC/DC takes over and props the voltage back up to ~14, so all is good until you let the car sit and then try to turn it on again.

There are only a few other possibilities, one is a high parasitic load that's discharging the battery after letting the car sit, and the other would be a bad or high-resistance connection somewhere between the battery and the front of the car, which is causing this sag.

If you can find a competent place with a Midtronics battery tester, they will be able to confirm the bad battery. Some auto parts stores will test this for free, just be sure they use a midtronics-type transconductance tester. (older load types made for conventional car-starting batteries will falsely indicate the Prius battery is bad)

I'd bet you lunch though that it's your battery. The OEM 12v battery basically sucks, which is why I recommend the Optima as a replacement. It will last much longer.

8. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, pEEF, et. al., thanks for the replies, possibilities and suggestions. I'm ordering the Optima battery.

Peter

9. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Peter. The life of the 12V battery is good if you keep it properly charged. But if you let it go fully flat then they often wont take a proper charge after that.

I agree that the workshop probably drained the battery, possibly even to the point where they had to jump started it. Again that's only a hunch and you probably cant prove it. We get a lot of stories here about people taking their Prius in for either mechanical or body work and while it's there the 12V battery getting drained, requiring a jump start.

You could try placing the existing battery on as charger and see if it comes back to life, but as I said they often don't take a charge so well after being completely drained.

1 person likes this.
  10. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that they don't take a charge well after being drained.

But I want to know a little bit more about it in this context:

We didn't replace the battery because it seemed to be doing fine. MPG was back to normal, all electrical seems to be functioning fine. Today we drove out for lunch, 6 miles away. It was overcast so I turned on the headlights.

But I forgot to turn them off when we parked. 45 minutes later we emerged and need to jump start the car.

When the AA guy showed he brought out his cool jump start kit and knew exactly where to jump it from. As soon as it was attached, ALL displays lit up, BEFORE the key was inserted.

This is not the SKS system (mine is) and I've never had to jump my 5 year old Prius. Is this normal? Is it normal for the headlights to drain the battery when the car is off? Mine doesn't.

And does it point to a larger underlying fault?

I ask because the car was almost too good of a deal to be true - maybe the previous owner ditched it in frustration?

My sweetheart now officially hates her Prius. It's under warranty at the dealership (Automotive Avenues in Lakewood) but I've yet to read it to see what's covered, and I'm loathe to because they always have lawyerly YOYO language. You're On Your Own but we can hold your hands until it grips the steering wheel.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    On the problem Prius, try testing its voltage via http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/73400-weird-stuff-happening-mpgs-dropping-test-battery.html, esp. if the car has been left for 8+ hours or overnight.

It won't tell us if there's some parasitic loss causing a problem though...

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's to be expected. Your battery is weakened but not completely dead. Just don't leave the headlights on for 45 minutes while the car is off and it might be ok.

Whoops I spoke too soon. :p

Yes of course it's normal for the headlights to drain the battery. It might take more like 1.5 to 2 hours with a new battery but it could happen a lot faster with a battery that's already been weakened like this one has.

Yep. It points to a weak battery that has previously been flattened. But hang on, you already knew that!

Tell her to get over it. She has a weak 12V battery and if she replaces it (and doesn't leave the headlights on with with the new one) then problem solved. This is no big deal.

The warranty wont cover the 12V battery.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even if the headlight switch was left in the on position, the exterior lights should automatically turn off if the driver's side door was opened and closed, after the car was made IG-OFF.

I would say that 1) the car still needs a new 12V battery, and 2) it would be good to connect a DMM set to read current, in series with the battery's negative cable to determine quiescent current draw when the car is IG-OFF with doors and hatch closed and locked.

14. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Along the lines of what pEEf said before, if the battery was already weak, then you shut off the car, the battery voltage sags because the lights are on, and the body computer fails to auto shutoff the lights when the door opens. Does that make sense?

Put in your Optima asap. Your girlfriend will then start to love her car and you will be a superhero.

15. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all, and apologies for not replying sooner. I thought I'd subscribed but apparently not.

Thanks for explaining why the weak battery affects the computer's ability to operate normally.

I especially like that I'm about to be a superhero! I'll explain that to my 6 year old who can grasp the ramifications of that. Battery Man!

Patrick: thank you for the DMM suggestion. I'll find out what that is and carry it out because I wonder(ed) if this was a pre-existing condition.

Warranty: it would normally cover the battery, but (a) we have no proof that they goofed; and (b) the warranty explicitly says it does not cover any damage or negligence if they screw up dyring oil changes, routine maintenance, et cetera. If they're not a Toyota Prius Certified place, then their warranty is more worthless.

Thanks all!

16. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's the bottom line: The 12 Volt batteries in the Prius suck. Badly. If they're permitted to fully discharge even once, they won't hold a charge and you'll need a new one. It's one flaw in what is overall a really great car.

Buy the Optima and the conversion kit from elearnaid (Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 10), pop that bad boy in, and don't worry about it for years.

I bought my '07 new in April '07. Accidentally fully drained the 12V battery in Jan '08, had to replace (with Optima) and no worries since.

17. lextoy

lextoy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    in a cold state like colorado, it is likely tha the battery could have been weak and pushed over the edge by the extreme cold.
    normal size battery doenst like discharge and cold temps.
    mini prius battery is even worse.
    the prius is BAD at charging the aux battery, so it is very susceptible to being damaged from
    1)weak charging cycle in prius
    2)small size, no reserve
    3)any accesory left on for 1/2 hour or more, lights, radio, door open,etc
    4)cold temps

if it got damaged once it will never be the same, entirely possible that the shop did it, or your girl, or the previous owner.

18. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, there was that extreme cold spell 2 weeks ago just before the oil change. (Off topic: I read somewhere that the magnetic N. pole has been shifting, which allowed for extreme cold from space to drop in along side the magnetic shield.)

I bet that cold pushed it to the edge and then the tech left IG-ON omr something else and that was that.

Ordered the Optima. It arrives this week. In the meantime I've been driving it for at least 20 miles so it gets a decent charge. The computer isn't resetting but the clock is, so hopefully with the warmer temps this week (60s!) it will be easier on the car.

Thanks lextoy and kohnen!

19. PeterPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Optima battery arrived. I'm almost ready to install it (gotta check to see if I have all the tools.... I don't) and perhaps, or not, too soon?

I'll be curious to see if the battery is the cause of this issue:
    We drove somewhere. 30 minutes to get there. We stopped, parked, turned off the Power, then opened a door, popped out the key (it's non-SKS) and the car started again. Full start. All displays and engine came on.

What is that symptomatic of? I gotta find out because I just keep thinking their is some weird electronic glitch that was a pre-existing condition with this car. My love said she had experienced it before but because the car was new to her, she just wrote it off as a newbie thing.

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What is your process to "turned off the Power"? How do you know the car is actually IG-OFF, after you have done this? Do you look at the combination meter (which contains the speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, and shift indicator) and the MFD to see that all is dark?

2. What is your process to "popped out the key"?