1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird iPhone 3G/4.1 USB abnormality

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RedBackFur, Oct 20, 2010.

1. RedBackFur

RedBackFur Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have an odd thing that happens to my Prius IV. I plug my iPhone into the USB Port, since I found the BlueTooth would go nuts when I'd use the phone.

This has happened 3 times now. While simply listening to my Podcasts over iTunes, while plugged into the USB port, I've had the audio just fade away and stop. If you look at the iPhone, you'll see that the charging has stopped. Even if you unplug and replug the dock connector, the port appears dead. Phone won't charge, and it won't talk to the head unit. I found the only solution is to power off the car and power it on again. Then the charging starts up again, and everything is fine....well as fine as the fussiness of the USB AUX coming up and populating, but I'm used to that. And the skipping/glitchy sound as well, but I'm also used to that.

Anybody else have that going on?
    Again.
    iPhone 3G, iOS 4.1, Non-Jailbroken (well, it was before, but didn't bother anymore because I now have the apple-sanction GVTalk+ I needed).;)

2. docsnavely

docsnavely Insert Custom Title Here

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    III
    I am having a similar problem but not exactly what you are experiencing.

I also have a 3G and just recently upgraded from 4.0.1 to 4.1. My phone is always jailbroken.

[edit] This error happened on both 4.0.1 and 4.1 with the same frequency. [edit]

About 50% of the time, my phone will not be recognized when plugged into the USB. To get it to recognize, I either have to reset the phone or the car. Just unplugging and re-plugging does nothing.

FWIW, I rarely use the USB. I usually plug my phone into a belkin cigarette lighter charger and stream via BT. I do this because I listen to a lot of podcasts at 2X speed, and this can only be done when you have direct control of the iPod function on the phone.

The only time I even attempt to use the USB is if I am in a music mood and have a low battery on the phone (since USB charges much quicker). Overall I am very disappointed in the Nav system as a whole. I hope they push an update out since it sounds like the Gen III is worse than the Gen II version.

3. mhmercer

mhmercer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No problems at all with 3GS on iOS4.1 using the USB port inside the console to connect to the iPhone's charge/pass data port. I cannot use Blue Tooth then direct-connect to play music; one or the other only, depending upon which I started with.

Marshal