1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird issue, car not starting

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by juliolopezgonzalez, Oct 26, 2011.

1. juliolopezgonzalez

juliolopezgonzalez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Have been reading you guys for a while and never thought I would be typing this since our 05 has been problem free forever but here it goes:

Yesterday morning was 20F outside and I came out to make sure that the car would start (1st really cold night here) and started fine. Right after pressing the on/off buttom I proceeded to remove the key from the opening and it beeped a few times. Our car has the keyless but for some reason that morning I put the key in instead of keeping in my pocket. Half hour later my wife and 2 daughters jump in the car and car is d-e-a-d. No interior lights, no nothing. When i put the key in, press brake and on/off I get a red light light up in the on/off button. If I press again I hear a mechanical noise trying to start but it doesn't. I have tried to jump start it, both from engine compartment and rear 12v battery, does not start, same red light. The curious thing is that when hooked up to my Jeep running there are still no lights inside the car, nothing. Some other times that the 12v battery died when we would go on a trip for a month you would hook it up and you would get everything lit up right before you jump started it. That's is what is troubling me.

Would appreciate any suggestions, since I need to do 2,000 miles next week in it...

Thanks

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, replace the 12v battery.

4. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know how to get this in. Perhaps you can help. A friend of mine purchased a 2010 Prius in Jan/2010. Drives it 400 miles a month. Has had at least 3 dead battery issues.
    Has been told that she should drive it more.
    Any ideas?

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    400 miles a month is plenty. Most likely she's leaving a light on or a door open. Advise her to get in the habit of locking it always, no matter where she parks.

If she likes to sit in it listening to music or whatever with the car OFF, that's the problem.

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now there is an excellent candidate for the new Optima yellowtop.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The procedure I cited likely doesn't work on the 3rd gen (2010+)
    Agreed. If they're leaving the car in IG-ON (not READY) for a long time, that'll drain the battery pretty quick. If they leave it in ACC mode for awhile, that'll drain it too.

1 person likes this.
  8. nhalber

nhalber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

Thanks, I'll tell her.