1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird noise after turning off car, ABS warnings coming on. Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Priusilliterate, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Priusilliterate

Priusilliterate New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey all. I am losing my mind over this and I was hoping someone could help me out or know what the issue is if they've seen it before.

I recently bought a 2005 Prius (150k miles), and when I turn the car off, it makes a weird noise on the driver's side under the hood. I will also randomly get the big red triangle, the (!), and the VSC warning lights when I'm driving, but I can still brake and everything.

Then when I try and start the car again, I can't get the car out of neutral, and the warning lights are on as shown in the other picture.

The dealer I bought the car from said they had just installed a brand new brake system, and I took it to the Toyota dealer and they looked it over during a used car inspection and didn't say anything was wrong (besides some lights out, filters, etc.).

I've linked the pictures and video of the noise, and would appreciate any help on this.

I've been disconnecting the 12v battery to restart it once this happens, and it goes anywhere from a week to a day until it happens again.

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well the VSC vehicle skid control light is on so usually something is going on with ABS and/or the VSC system that's why the orange lights are on and it may be pertinent to read the codes with a capable scanner there is a whole article dedicated to scanners and which ones work well and so on without that you just be shooting in the dark here and firing parts cannons and all that sort of thing can be costly in a Prius it's important to have capability to read the codes at a moment's notice It's the best way.

Danno5060 likes this.
  3. Danno5060

Danno5060 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Read the codes - read the codes from the ABS too.

Along with the brakes, the ABS problem could also be a wheel speed sensor, but that's just shooting in the dark.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We have a strong contender for understatement of the week.

And if you don't have one of those, you can still go out right now (or the next time those lights come on) and get the codes by doing this:

Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

Brian1954, Tombukt2 and Danno5060 like this.