1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird noise in reverse?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusGuy32, Mar 8, 2014.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yesterday while backing up, my Prius made a very weird noise that I have never heard it make before- it sounded like the "winding" noise a car with a manual transmission makes when its in reverse o_O It was going wa-wa-wa and once I stopped the car, it stopped and hasnt done it again.

Transmission fluid was changed 25,000 miles ago. No other problems (that I know of), no lights. No wheel bearing noise. Really, nothing else remarkable to report.

Does this sound like impending doom?? Theres a Gen3 Prius at a local dealership that Ive been eyeing, so if it sounds like its going to be a problem, this might be the "push" for me to go trade it in for the Gen3.....

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only thing that comes to mind for me is something I read on Luscious Garage Web Site a while back. Unless your tranny sounds like this, it might have been a fluke. I would keep an eye or ear on it so to speak.

Luscious Garage | Blog | Gen 2 Prius (2004-2009) Transmission Failure, P0AA6, P0A92, P0A7A

Is it possible you are just looking for an excuse to get the Gen III you saw? :LOL: If so, you are not alone. I drove a new Prius V earlier this week and have the fever too... ;) I would be fine today if I would not have rented that new Prius while I was waiting on the dealer to do some work for me. Now I am looking for reasons to convince the wife we need a new car (Prius V that is).

3. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yowza... nope - didnt sound anything like that and for that Im very glad, lol.

Ill keep an eye on it. I designate tomorrow a "Chris gets to play around on his laptop with techstream on the prius" day. Which will only take me about 15 minutes but with all the info in techstream, I feel like I could spend a day dissecting the data!