1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird noise, near constant - every 15 sec or so

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kristina Morgan, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Kristina Morgan

Kristina Morgan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My prius is a 2007, 183K miles. This is a noise it has made for as long as I can remember but only when I would first get in the car and before I would start it. Now it makes it when I first get in for 15-20 seconds straight and then does it every 15 seconds or so. I recorded it as it is different than the other noises I see described here (the one that means a bad 3 way valve). I went out and listened to that on youtube, and that is not the noice I have. Trying to get a copy of what I recorded uploaded here but am finding that to be a challenge. It is electronic rattle, like a snake.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, we have a security measure in place so new members can't upload until they have 5 posts (rudimentary spambot check). Our apologies.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

it's the brake actuator. there is a new warranty iirc. check the toyota owners website and plug in your vin.
    but i don't think you're covered unless you get a dash light.

4. Kristina Morgan

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    New 12v battery, nothing comes up by VIN on Toyota website...what happens when this is going out? is it safe to drive or should it be parked until fixed?

5. Kristina Morgan

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK - went and listened to a brake actuator failing on you tube, and that is not the noise at all. This noise occurs almost constant and not just upon braking or holding down brake pedal at a light. When I go out to my car and open the door to get in, before the key is even in the ignition, it starts the noise. When I turn on car, it goes nonstop for 15-20 seconds, loud. then it happens every 15 seconds or so for 5-7 seconds each time. No change to the noise no matter how fast I am going, stopped or moving, using battery or engine, air on or off... Only time I cannot hear it is when I turn up the radio just a little too loud :).

I cannot upload the noise as I am a "newbie" as I was told above...will keep searching internet to see if I find it so I can link to it...

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the buzzing when you open the door, and while applying the brake during driving is the sound of the brake actuator pressurizing when healthy. the fact that it is occurring more often means there is a slow leak.
    it is safe to drive and may last a long time like that. keep your eye on it, if the actuator goes out, you will get dash lights.
    wouldn't hurt to have it looked at by an expert, i think there is a good hybrid shop in phoenix, iirc.