1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Kev1000000, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

Today, while driving some people out to dinner, my MFD didnt update any information and then displayed "problem" across the screen with a Battery icon. The MFD showed no power coming from any device, and no regen. The current MPG display was also not updating at all.

This lasted for a good minute or 2, then went away. It was on and off for awhile on the drive there. Coming back, everything seemed normal. Is this something I should worry about? Or just a freak thing?

The car seemed to drive perfectly normal, and no dash lights came on at all.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ehhh... I think that's something new we haven't seen. Heck, I've never seen the word "problem" on the MFD or in the manual. Most are simply icons or warning lights.

Best to see what Galaxee or rick57 has to say.

3. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Sounds like the first symptoms of MFD failure, something which affects a fair number of 2004s, and maybe 2005s. My screen failed several months ago and now seldom works. :(

My dealer quoted $4,000 for a new screen, but refurbished units are supposedly available for $450. :(

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "problem" will show up commonly- just unplug the park button, for instance.

it's one of those things that resets with 3 key cycles. if it showed up, there should be a code stored for it that can be pulled with the scantool.

did it do this from startup or while you were driving? been in the dash recently? anyone go in after an ecu?

any mods to the car?

sounds sorta like the mfd failure but not exactly.

we're around sorta this week, up visiting friends and family so we'll pop in later to look for replies.

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jan 8 2007, 06:52 AM) [snapback]372387[/snapback]</div>
    My '04 read that once before being replaced ... under the extended warranty!

6. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 8 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]372465[/snapback]</div>

It didnt do it at startup, just while we were driving. I restarted the car once, and it still had the problem. When we came out of the restaurant and left, it worked fine the whole way home.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Sounds like the MFD failure. If you have an extended warranty, head for the dealer. My screen failed out of warranty and I've just continued using the car like this. I don't feel like spending hundreds of dollars on a second screen.