1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird question - if labor were free, what would you replace?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pmelc1, Nov 10, 2023.

1. pmelc1

pmelc1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a connection with a good mechanic who's extremely, extremely reasonable, closer to free than expensive. He's a retired guy who basically does repairs for some extra spending money and to keep busy.

Car is an '06 with around 200,000 miles on it (don't know exact amount since combimeter was out for years), and everything is original except the following: ICE water pump, inverter water pump, serpentine belt (with pump), spark plugs, coils. I replaced the combimeter recently and replaced a bad battery module and all the battery bus bars and nuts. Until about two years ago, I didn't need anything other than tires oil 12v battery and one set of brakes, and an aftermarket cat (stolen).

I need a new valve cover gasket so he's going to do that, the front brakes, and front shocks/sway bars. I'm trying to think of anything else that would be worthwhile to add in based on the parts cost/likelihood of failure sometime soon. I have a spare low-mileage engine and transmission in very good condition (from a rear-end damage vehicle got at auction for $1k; bought it mainly for body panels) and would like to keep this vehicle running as long as possible. If it's another 10-12+ years, great. I have an '89 Pickup/Hilux that's still going strong, so as long as a car is running for cheaper than a used-car replacement, I'm driving it.

If you were in my situation, is there anything else that would be near the top of your list?

#1 pmelc1, Nov 10, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You're in New Jersey and the 89 Hilux truck is faring well really wow that's pretty good I was up in that area and couldn't get vehicles to do that well the salt on the roads the long commutes etc kind of doesn't mean pretty good but your list looks pretty good I mean that's a generation too You should never need an engine It's pretty rare The one NZ is pretty stout they have rally versions of this engine that produce big horsepower of course they're higher maintenance items more finicky obviously so a detuned version stuffed in a Prius essentially should make $600,000 mi pretty easily now if you beat on it and try to run 80 miles an hour up and down the highway 6 days a week etc then your setup may last quite a bit shorter but even with that being said you can round up this engine and put it in the car in an afternoon if you really want to best thing to do here is just have two generation twos one set of tags You get stopped or have a wreck in either one they're both generation twos same value your insurance company's not going to really care the police might but insurance isn't going to really care they're going to pay out and do what they're supposed to do so you're in good shape mostly car stuff is financial responsibility that's 9/10 of the law if you want to look at it like that.

3. pmelc1

pmelc1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you appreciate the feedback. I've gotten lucky with the rust for whatever reason since we do get quite a bit of salt around here. I've had other Pickups/Hiluxes for my business and rust killed two of them, accident killed another. Also have a '98 Tacoma with 300k (just a backup work truck) that is worse for wear and has bad rust.

After reading some similar threads from past think I'm going to have him do following:
    1) Clean EGR valve, MAF sensor, throttle body, and battery fan
    2) Clean or replace fuel injectors (maybe or might save that for later)
    3) Replace PCV

#3 pmelc1, Nov 11, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    All that in your driveway is like an hour's worth of work

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 2 does not have an EGR valve or in fact an EGR system at all.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    One of the main reasons you want to stick with the generation 2 is because it's not regurgitating its own puke like the next generation Prius and the rest of the moving forward all the way to today do combine that with an Atkinson cycle valve train and you've got some pretty nasty crap you're trying to feed your beast. Had I known this when I first looked at a generation 3 that would have never made it to my house. Point blank. The minute after I bought my ex the Gen 3 I knew it was a mistake like the next day and then I got three generation twos a week later put them on the road and just waited for the generation 3's to croak never to be seen again here we hope.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you're going to have the car done up to go that long, have him replace the paint, undercoating and (to the extent required) the sheet metal at the front edges of the rear wheel wells.

Get in there now and aggressively replace anything rusted. The entire reason people avoid this is the cost of labor.