1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird, sobering day

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by seilerts, Nov 4, 2011.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have uncorked a cab and am pouring the second glass...

I spent most of the day in Toyota Sequoia land. Today was the 1 year anniversary of our brush with death, where a teenager rushing back to Santa Fe Prep after lunch hit us in the side and caused our Sequoia to roll over. I bought another Sequoia that had suffered an engine fire to make 1 good one out of two total losses. I'm getting close to the end of the project, having lifted the mangled body off the good frame+engine. In the burn victim, the engine is slag, and all wiring harnesses burned to the firewall, but the body and interior is perfect.

[​IMG]

So, I feel like there is some closure, finally, in having salvaged what was good out of my favorite SUV of all time.

On the way home, my wife got a call from her sister. Their estranged father had passed away over a year ago, and no one had told either of them. Sister-in-law found it from a random internet search, where tributes.com had picked it up from the Social Security Death index.

Where do you even start when you get news like that? I don't have any life experience that compares. When my Dad died, it was utterly devastating, but we were close -- I still use some of his tools. In their case, so far it is all anger and no grief. I don't know what I am asking here. It helps to be able to just throw this out there and know someone will read this. Maybe someone can tell me just what hell I am supposed to do.

2. Maine Pilot

Maine Pilot Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    III
    There's really nothing that you can do.I don't know what your relationship with him was, but I'm surmising it was minimal since it doesn't sound like your wife had much contact with him in the past.

Based on the experience you had with your dad's passing, you're probably expecting a different reaction from your wife and that's why you're feeling the way you do now.

Your wife probably feels she had a good reason for alienating herself from her father. About the best you can do is to see if she wants to talk about her relationship with him; if not, don't push it and let her work things out for herself.

Just keep working on your Sequoia--it's good therapy and it'll give your wife some personal space to work things out.

1 person likes this.
  3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ^ Yep.

1 person likes this.
  4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am envious of your shop...

I do not envy your position Bra... losing a parent is one of those events that will change a persons outlook on life.

It sounds like you and the frau have a good relationship, and that you want to find way to lend her some comfort. She probably doesn't know what her feelings are right yet (knowing women), but she will.

Me personally: I would wait until you hear her say something before you try to "make it better"... just be the man you have been for her, and she will let you know if you can do anything extra to help her sort out her feelings of never being able to see or say something to her father again.

And post more pics of your project... I love a good rebuild story.

1 person likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    An overcast day all around.

The thing about dead people is that they cannot offer apology or closure, and cannot be punished further.

I think that most people appreciate their significant others nearby and accessible when they are suffering. In my home cooking together is calming. Wash the dishes today.

All the best Seilerts

1 person likes this.
  6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anger can be a strange and complicated emotion. Often, the event that brings it out is more of a trigger for pent-up feelings, and not necessarily the direct cause. With families, especially those with broken relationships, anger is caused by many things and can build over a very long time.

In this case, hiding out in the garage for awhile is probably a safe strategy. You won't be causing any further trouble, and you're giving your wife time to deal with her emotions. Don't abandon her, by any means, but giving her some space and understanding will help. Doing a few simple, 'neutral' things together, like going for walks in quiet, restful places, will aid the healing.

1 person likes this.
  7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So far, so good. We are taking today off and will go yarn shopping and hit the hot bar at Whole Foods for lunch. There's a lot of dysfunction in this family and I am hoping this event will allow some things to get better, as a great cloud of uncertainty and anxiety has been lifted. Thanks everyone.

8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Glad to hear things are going better today. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yay on the Sequoia..

as for the parental loss... I'm a veteran of dysfunctional family dynamics, including, at one point in my life, being told that my {birth} mother was dead, then finding out several YEARS later that it had been a lie - and a very conscious lie, at that - perpetrated by the woman that raised me.
    My birth mother has since passed away, though I was not notified until about a month afterwards (last year).

Yes, anger at this point is perfectly normal. Be prepared for some self-blame, guilt, and blaming, before it's all over. An estranged relationship has its own dynamics, and now, with absolutely zero chance of any sort of reconciliation, all those buried hopes of (let's just say) him ever making up for whatever wrongs he did, are gone. Your wife now has to process these buried emotions for herself.

Your job is to be loving, supportive, listen without judging, and watchful. Do not hesitate to suggest a "professional listener" (i.e., therapist, counselor, etc.) if it seems warranted. Don't put a time frame on how long this will take, either. That depends entirely on your wife's emotional framework, and how deeply/severely the estrangement - and its initial cause - has shaped her self image.

I'm still working out issues... hopefully, in a healthy manner.

1 person likes this.
  10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jennie had a long talk with his widow. I could hear the same agony in her voice that I heard in my Mom's for the first few years after my Dad passed away. It really makes me sad. In short, both Jennie and her father had discussions with their spouses about reaching out and attempting reconciliation. It just never made it to an intermediary who could have put them in touch.

The backlash from Jennie's mom is bad and getting worse. Basically, the widow is lying, there's no need to be mourning still because more than a year has passed, what happened to the money, etc.

Thanks everyone for the kind words.