1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Sound after installing new air cleaner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by djasonw, May 2, 2005.

1. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was cleaning my car yesterday and decided to check the air filer. It was last changed around 15,000 miles. I now have 27,000 miles and when I checked it, it had some debris in there and it was kinda dirty. Since the filters are so cheap I decided to throw a new one in. This is a GENUINE Toyota filter. While driving to work today I noticed that under heavy throttle, there appeared to be a louder sound than normal. Under light to moderate throttle input the engine sounds the same. I checked when I got to work whether I didn't clamp down the air box on, but it was all snug and the filter can only be installed one way. Anyone have any clues??????

2. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Make sure the cover is properly aligned and tight. It sounds like you have an air leak.

3. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had a similar experience and found that I must not have seated the top plastic housing perfectly into the bottom half. Give it another try and hopefully it go back to sounding normal for you.

4. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys!! You were right! I went out and to my car and sure enough the top part was NOT seated properly. All is well now....