1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird sounds from braking

Discussion in 'Prius c Technical Discussion' started by maverickf, Apr 22, 2012.

1. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I heard some weird sounds, it sounded like some metal dropping on concrete, when I stepped on the brake while making turns. I know in the manual it says "Sounds may be heard due to regenerative braking when the brake pedal is depressed." in P.28, but was the sound normal?

Now, any wired sound from the car makes me nervous...... I hope it just happened today...... :(

2. krneidigh

krneidigh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm going to say take it in. The regen brakes will just have an EM whine. It could be anything from a bolt came out of your caliper to a bad CV joint. Does you abs fire? Does it pull to one side?

3. strongbad

strongbad Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The ABS will kick in when one or more wheels is turning significantly faster than another while braking. That would be the outside wheels when braking and turning vs the inside wheels. The ABS computer can figure out turns and not kick in, but if you hit a bump while turning and braking it confuses the computer and kicks the anti-lock in.

4. maverickf

maverickf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I didn't hear that noise yesterday, but again this morning...
    I read another member had a problem and he said it was a heat shield hitting a metal transmission line, maybe I better bring my car back to the dealer and check. Problem is I need to take a day off to do so unless bringing it on Saturday.

5. magtataho1

magtataho1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi fellow C owners,
    All 2012 Toyota Prius 1 2 3 are all equipped with Vehicle Approach Notice system which means it mimic the sound pressure of a conventional engine especially during braking.
    It prevents a danger for a visually impaired somebody or pedestrians.

Hope it helps.

magtataho1

6. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    huh...?

i'm pretty sure the sounds described above have nothing to do with the VPNS..