1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Weird Tax Credit Questions

Discussion in 'Prius Tax Credit Discussion' started by Tlyke1983, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought my first Prius in May of 04. Oct of that same year someone hit my car and totalled it. I think i still filed for the tax credit. I got another one in 05. I had my taxes filed by someone else while I was living out of the country so I don't know if the tax credit was applied for again. I traded in my 05 on Sept. 29th for an 06 model adn I was told I could get the tax credit again. How can I check to see if I have the tax credit? I would like to be tax exempt at work if I have the tax credit. I tried IRS.gov but that website got me nowhere.

Thanks

Tamara

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

In years prior to having bought the 2006 prius, you were probably getting some tax deduction on those older purchases. (not a tax credit)

Those transactions would be independent of the 2006 purchase. Unless the AMT zaps you, you'll probably get the credit when you do your taxes in the spring.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, previous years it was a deduction, not a credit. With the new law in '06, it turned into a credit. If your car was purchased before the first of this month, then you are eligible for the credit, baring problems associated with AMT.

4. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is AMT? So the car I got on the 29th has a tax credit then? So if i were to do tax exempt at work the tax credit should take care of that then?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 13 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]332414[/snapback]</div>

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, if you got the car on the 29th it has the full tax credit of $3150.

AMT stands for alternative minimum tax, and is essentially a way for the government to ensure that people aren't taking so many credits and deductions so as to not have to pay taxes. You would need to discuss the situation with a tax guy to be sure that you won't be hit with AMT.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you sold your 05 you may be subject to recapture of your tax deduction from 2005. if you took it, that is :)

since your 04 was lost in an accident, you're not subject to recapture for that one.

and you will be eligible for the 2006 tax credit.

7. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Quote: " If your car was purchased before the first of this month, then you are eligible for the credit..."

Additional comment: If your new Prius is delivered after September 30th, you are eligible for a Tax Credit of $1,575 (half the original amount). So, you haven't LOST the Tax Credit - you still get a nice credit. As I recall, this remains valid through the end of March, 2008 after which a new purchaser would get $787.50 for another six months. Under current regulations, after that the tax credit phases out.

8. Tlyke1983

Tlyke1983 Red Sonja

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks guys for answering my question so quickly and efficiently. I shudder just thinking of what would have happened if I had to actually call the IRS. So I guess I will be shuffling on down to H&R block next year.

Thanks Again Everyone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 14 2006, 02:22 PM) [snapback]332780[/snapback]</div>

9. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tlyke1983 @ Oct 14 2006, 04:06 PM) [snapback]332809[/snapback]</div>
    I had some tax problems a year ago, and I actually found working with the IRS much more pleasant than I thought it would be. The people on the phone were pleasant and informative (although there were often long waiting times to get through to the general tax phone number), and the people I dealt with where I had a specific phone number to discuss my problem were prompt in getting back to me if I had to leave a message. My problem wound up getting referred to the Tax Advocate because some forms I had submitted got lost in an IRS office, and I got the first of a series of refunds in about six weeks.

10. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Oct 15 2006, 08:55 AM) [snapback]332957[/snapback]</div>
    Ditto. I had some problems a few years ago because my W-2 from my defunct dotcom employer showed a much higher income than my paystubs showed (turned out it was because they were witholding taxes but not sending the money to the IRS). Anyway, they were extremely nice and helpful.