1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Welding on a 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jarett Coulter, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Jarett Coulter

Jarett Coulter New Member

My prius is in body shop. Must have welding done on car body parts after accident. How do I unhook both batteries so welding will not damage them?. Also is there away to unhook the cars computer to make double sure that I-We do not harm it?. I'm sure the Toyota body shop repair manual covers this. My body shop is small and this is there first Prius to work on. Any help would be great, and thanks.
    Signed Jarett Coulter.

2. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always pull the computer and unhook the battery prior to doing any welding. Your body shop may be small but if they do not know how to do these basic things you may want to look elsewhere for a place to do your work.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with tnthub. You should find a place that knows what they're doing with Prii. I know there are specific procedures for welding on the Prius that are *different* than welding on non-hybrid cars. I remember reading something on here a while ago that this is in order to protect the computers *and* to protect some of the electric motor components.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the air bag and ABS computers are also listed on the disconnect list for BS repair welding.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The HV battery must be removed from the car before it is placed in a heated paint spray booth or it will permanently be damaged.

6. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

you should probably take it to your Authorized Toyota Dealer for repair.