1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Welding on the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Weinerneck, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

I am a welder/fabricator and would like to make some connections to the frame to hold a rack on the back of the Prius. It will be one like the ones that go into a two inch trailer hitch only smaller. I'm going to use one of those Tuff Box storage containers that will fit between the tail lights. We have a trip during spring break that this would come in very handy.

While it will be made to bolt on and off, it is much easier to build tacking things together on the car. Was just wondering if anyone had any knowledge regarding this?

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

direct from the Toyota Prius repair manual
    Welding
    before initating any repair involving the use of an electric welder, the ignition must be in the off position and both battery cables as well as the ABS computer must be disconnected.

when I built my trailer hitch I did it all off the car and used templates to ensure the accuracy of the tacks. Then dry fitted and when I was satisfied I finished welded it on the bench and then put it on.

3. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

Thanks for the info B)

I guess that would be the safest bet anyway. Thanks again.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This could be a case of ambiguous translation from Japanese to English. Surely they mean "the cables from both batteries" and not the possible alternate reading "both [12V] battery cables". And disconnecting the traction battery cables is not something to be done casually.

priusrust likes this.
  5. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Since the HV battery is floating ground and has relays on both positive and negative connections that are open when the car is off, I think disconnecting both 12V cables is correct. The more important item is the ABS computer and the backup capacitor pack that may prove more difficult to disconnect.

Just my $0.02