1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Well, Australians won't be happy - Toyota NZ Launches Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't diss the hybrid, says Toyota as it launches new plug-in Prius Prime | Stuff.co.nz

NZ new Prius Prime is the new benchmark in fuel efficiency - Toyota NZ

Toyota Plugs In

#1 Tideland Prius, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect Australian prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and his supporters remain delighted.

Bob Wilson

3. Richard2005

Richard2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think this reflects the fact that NZ has a very clean electricity grid with 81% renewable, whereas in Australia its only 28%. This makes a much stronger case for EV's and the NZ Government policy reflects that.

I would like a Prime here in Australia, but the reality is that the CO2 emissions are currently lower operating it in hybrid mode because our electricity is 810 g/kWh and also there are no subsidies.

4. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm not sure how the Auzzies in general consider the electric grid is over there in AU. (is down under still an approved colloquialism ?) (so many country codes beginning with A :eek:)
    Comparing to the big neighbor to the north, I suspect the AU grid is relatively clean in comparison.
    Again, I'm not sure how much has changed in your area in the last 3.5 years, I only wish the best for all that these huge issues can be worked out for all the living of this planet.
    And thanks for the current data about the grids of both AU and NZ.

Richard2005 likes this.
  5. Richard2005

Richard2005 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it is 'Down Under'. Australia's electricity grid is about the same as China in terms of CO2 intensity Kg/kWh. Its currently 72% fossil fuel and decreasing at about 3% per annum.

#5 Richard2005, Oct 2, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    vvillovv likes this.