1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well...do ya?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bredekamp, Mar 13, 2008.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends upon the relative cost of electricity vs gasoline in your area. In southern CA, the marginal cost of a kWh is quite high once you reach the highest-priced tier. Therefore, the kitchen stove, home heating, and the clothes dryer normally is natural-gas powered.

In parts of the US midwest, a kWh is priced at about 1/4 of the highest CA price, so people use electricity to supply all home energy needs including heating and cooking.

3. ny biker

ny biker Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Depends on the ability to plug in a car.

My home (garden style condo) does not have an external electrical outlet to plug a car into. I park in a lot that is shared by all residents in the courtyard, with no reserved spaces, so I don't even have a guarantee that I will find a space near my building.

People living in apartments, condos, and even some townhouses will not have the ability to plug in car. Many people in urban areas have to park on the street because there is no driveway, parking lot or garage for their building.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would, I plug it in now every 3 weeks to a petrol pump so plugging in to a wall socket each night wouldn't be too bad.
    I would need to extract my sons Celica from the garage though.

The people with EBH are plugging in now.

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The headline says:
    But then the article says:
    And further on:
    So, which is it? Are they going to build it, or is the CEO merely "pushing" the engineers to try to develop it?

Either way, it's for fleets only. You and I won't be able to buy it.

For myself, I'd only buy it if it will drive 30 miles at its full potential acceleration and speed without running the gas engine. I won't buy a plug-in car just to double my gas mileage by using partial electric power or only at slow speed because I already have a slow-speed car that's 100% electric.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. I do want to plug in.

However, I think I would also just be happy if I had twice the battery capacity or more. So even if the LIon battery gave me more capacity I might not plug it in every night but I would still get stellar mileage.