1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well I almost ran over a kid today....yeah, that happened.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by james cook, Mar 20, 2015.

1. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When I was 17 I pushed carts for a few months at a grocery store and encountered my first Prius, silent and deadly as I walked into the drivers path.

I'm 23 now, I kinda forgot how quiet these cars are, especially when in EV mode.

I was doing 36 MPH, then I turn to my street and I see kids on my road playing the street. I slow down to about 10-15 MPH all the kids move to the opposite side of the street. I slow down even more as I'm about to cautiously pass these kid and the all of a sudden one of them, like a freaking dear darts in front of my car, I slam on the brakes and everyone including 3 adults are looking at me like I just robbed a bank.

I think I'll Rev my engine or honk my horn next time.

This was in broad daylight.

KennyGS likes this.
  2. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Seems like you handled it perfectly. Of course, honking will probably be misconstrued as antagonism instead of a simple warning/reminder that you're there. Still better than hitting a child.

3. bingee3

bingee3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You did good , some times , in that situation I'll honk the horn , sure beats the negative results

4. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I'll honk just to make sure everything is safe. Yeah, you will get looks but it can save a life.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you mean they couldn't hear the noisemaker?

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've almost hit people/cars that were obstructed by the wide A pillars.

Tyler S likes this.
  7. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry I don't understand this reference?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't the c have the front noisemaker when under 15 mph? VPNS vehicle proximity something something.

9. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Pedestrian Warning | PriusChat

10. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMHO the noisemaker in our 2012 sounds like an asthmatic wheezing or whining, and it is so quiet and odd that I don't think anyone realizes that it is a CAR coming up on them. Wish we could up the loudness and upload an MP3 file that would personalize the noise---I would chose the march of the Starwars troopers, a machine gun, or some other sound that definitely implied oncoming danger to catch the attention of the pedestrian.

shanda, vinnie97 and KennyGS like this.
  11. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In my neighborhood people always turn their heads when hearing my noise maker.

Still don't know it's legal to let kids playing on the street. Some houses even post a big sign "kid in play" and orange cones for them to play.

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Kids run into the road for no good reason or they're playing stupid games. Get a dash cam to cover yourself.

Kid survives but definitely a close shave

I used to drive a 2 tonne knackered old London black taxi with a ratty diesel engine and a big yellow light on top. People and kids would still run out in front of me and then look shocked when I screeched to a holt 1 foot from them.

If they couldn't hear that coming then they'll never hear anything. Best solution is to keep alert, keep your speed right for the conditions, make sure your tyres and brakes are good, get a dash cam and carry good insurance.

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Does it seem to you that people just don't have the spatial awareness of their surroundings that they use to have?
    When I was a kid one of the earliest things my parents tried to teach me was to treat streets and cars with the utmost respect. And the responsibility for not getting hit? Was presented as being primarily mine, not the vehicles, or at least I was to always assume the responsibility was mine. I never went "darting" out into the street.

Even in shopping centers, and crowded area's it just seems people walk around like zombies unaware or uncaring in regards to their surroundings.

I hate to sound like the grumpy old man, but it's like this generation just doesn't pay attention to anything more than inches away from them.

I go down aisles at supermarkets and people block the entire aisle with their cart, and I stand for seconds...or what seems like a long time, before they come out of their trance looking at the boxed juice, and seem to realize that there is a world happening around them.

Yes, kids, people, adults...step out in front of vehicles like they have some type of death wish. For some reason, it seems this generation has lost the ability to react to the REAL world.

Sorry for the rant, but it's a pet peeve of mine.

dborn, sdtundra, Ashlem and 7 others like this.
  14. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I feel like the only people who hear the noise maker are those who drive a hybrid and know what it sounds like.

15. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  16. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A good ol' blast on the noise maker sorts those ones out :)

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Today I watched a Mum texting while ambling through a crosswalk, her little girl skipping ahead, right turners crowding In.

18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You are 100 percent correct. They will walk right in front of you. Also if you are parked at a strip mall, for example, they will walk right behind your car even if you have it in reverse. Don't forget the bicycle riders. They will cut right in front of you. I have enough crazy vehicle drivers to watch without the rest of this. You have a right to complain. I do and other people do as well. Hit one of these people and we are going to get sued for sure. Big problem.

acs326 likes this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You did good.

after years of riding motorcycle I learned to drive under assumption that noone sees me.

acs326 likes this.
  20. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've muted audio EV mode under 15-10...is that rustling sound the EV engine or the warning sound? It's now that loud