1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well... IT finally happened. Scraped my baby...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by going red baby!, Dec 19, 2009.

1. going red baby!

going red baby! still a n00b

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I knew this was going to happen sooner or later, but I would have preferred later. Much later.

I scraped the bottom front corner turning into a driveway. I knew I should have made the safer and easier yet illegal u-turn, but I had just mailed off my traffic school certificate to the courts 2 days ago so... oh well, the moral of this story is go around the block if you have to in order to avoid turning into unchartered driveways.

So what should I do about it? Get touch up paint? Leave it? Go into therapy so I can stop crying?

Attached Files:

2. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    :(

I'm sorry!!!

I had someone knock an entire 30-oz cup of coffee on to the driver's seat yesterday (odo was at 240 mi). Left me muttering under my breath for at least an hour, but the clean-up and carpet shampooing behind the seat seems to have gone well. The leather caused the coffee to pool up and really didn't let much get through it...

3. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ouch! Yeah, I feel your pain! The good news is that it's in an area where a DIY touch up will work pretty well. Find a good step by step guide (and maybe someone else can point one out for you), but basically a little sanding, mask it off and spray it with a few light coats. You of course will still see it, but no one else will! Good luck!

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair

I have a curb rash as well (from the wife driving it, although she has no idea how it happened). It's part of having a daily driver, but you'll stop noticing it after a week once you do a good enough job of covering it up.

5. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you used this? I just watched a Youtube video on it for fixing a chip.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, that's not so bad, red. Not worth crying about. A shop could fix that for you without too much trouble, or you could fix it yourself if you feel brave.

That piece is plastic, so it's not going to rust if you leave it alone, and it's not all that noticeable. (To everyone else, I mean.) :rolleyes:

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can cover it with touch up paint, and it will hide it from most people. Or most people just won't care. But for you? It will be the Tell- Tale Heart. The microscopic almost invisible hand painted strokes from the touch-up paint will always be visible. Constantly reminding you of deteriation and the mortality of all things. The center can not hold, your bumper is scraping it's way towards Bethlehem and there is nothing you or I can do to stop it.

Even Bodyshop repair is nothing but a futile stop gap. The demons of dents and shades of scrape exist at every parking lot, every seemingly innocent drive-way. Despite our muttered prayers to the automotive gods, our 3M and Venture Shield cloaks of defense, in the end metal is metal and paint is paint. Time makes Clunkers of us all.

Would it help you if I told you it's not so bad? I suspect not. We are all boys in the bubble protecting ourselves by projecting ourselves into our toys and our enviroment. Every driveway now becomes an auditory gauntlet, listening for the inevitable sounds of the monsters claws as they rip at our flesh.

I will weep for you...and light a candle infront of a tube of touch-up paint. That is all any of us can do. Embrace your wounds! Become proud of the scars. Make it part of the whole. The expectation of perfection and unblemish is Folly despite the sonnets of Zaino and shrouds of Micro-fiber.

It is hideous, beautifully, beautifully hideous.

2 people like this.
  8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd go the DIY route then get the car covered in VentureShield film.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ouch! Major bummer. If it were me, I would have it fixed professionally at this point. Two, three years down the line... perhaps not but now yes. As mentioned, it is plastic so you could wait till the shops are freed up in the summer to take it in.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I have this product.

11. eaglesight333

eaglesight333 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know it would be more costly, but take it to a detail shop. You will be happier in the long run.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Until the OP gets his next curb rash.... They're in the perfect location to touch up and forget after a week or so and it's not like it's smack dap in the middle of the hood where you can notice every time.

13. going red baby!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    She will most likely get more of these eventually as she isn't used to driving a vehicle this low. Although she will not drive on one particular street at all due to all the massive tree root bumps in it. And she will avoid turning around in driveways from now on. ;)

I think I'll swing by a body shop tomorrow and see how much they want to paint it. Got a couple places off Angie's List that sound like they might do it at a reasonable price. It isn't that noticeable if you don't know it's there, but I don't even have my plates yet! :(
    But I do realize it's bound to happen again (but hopefully not for a long time), even though I'm curbing my natural urge to park as close to the curb as possible and pulling up as far as I can in parking spaces while driving this car.