1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well, my 2010 just lost it's hybrid battery at 105K mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Alphawolf, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    9 years old and 105K and the dealer quoted me about $4K for the job. I called Toyota USA and they offered nothing. The hybrid experience failed me. I saved perhaps $2000 in fuel cost over 9 years. Any recommendations where to buy a good rebuild for a DIY install? Thanks

2. Robertto09

Robertto09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shop around dealerships first. Isn't the going rate more like $2500~3000?

I just dropped a grand (CDN) on new (17") tires, for comparison. Price of being mobile?

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There is no location in your profile, but I guess we can assume you are not in a CARB state, correct? Even if you are not, you are barely out of the warranty period, both years and mileage wise. Having a failure of the HV battery is unusual for a car that is less than 10 years old. In many cases Toyota has agreed to cover part of the cost of replacement even for a car that is out of warranty with an early failure like yours. Have you had any repairs or maintenance done at a Toyota dealer? Having an ongoing relationship with Toyota and its dealers will often swing the scales in your favor when trying to make a case for a "Goodwill Warranty". Here is a thread of others' experience with obtaining a goodwill warranty. I would want to be sure you are talking to the right people at Toyota to make your case.

HV Battery Goodwill Warranty Listing - Toyota Prius USA | PriusChat

5. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You don't give your location, maybe that would help the community recommend a third-party hybrid battery installer. Failing that, try Google search for hybrid battery recondition/replace shops. You should be able to get a reconditioned battery for $1,500 installed, depending on your location of course.

Bay Stater and Montgomery like this.
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The HV Battery is not hard to change if you are any good with a wrench. There are plenty of references, videos and some of us have the manuals if needed. You should be able to buy a new one over the counter a lot cheaper.

Bay Stater likes this.
  7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't remember the correct handle, but one user named "Toast" or "Toast2k" sells NEW cells for a reasonable price.
    I can't seem to remember the correct handle.. sorry

Bay Stater and 2k1Toaster like this.
  8. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would definitely SKIP the remanufactured / reconditioned / used batteries especially for $1500. $1600 gets you a new battery kit shipped to your door.

9. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I knew I was close to your handle. :)

10. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    @2k1Toaster

11. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Okay sorry guys. I'm in Northern Utah. What is a "new battery kit" vs. a rebuilt battery? I've been investigating "Best Hybrid Batteries" out of Shorewood IL. They are quoting $1350 plus $140 shipping for a ready to install battery. I just take mine out and put theirs in, shipping mine back to them.

Bay Stater likes this.
  12. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How does a new battery kit work compared to one ready to install?

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Consider the "just out of warranty" comments, and ask all the dealerships in your area for a price, if you haven't already. That's the low-hanging fruit: $4000 is too steep; maybe if you throw the question out to all dealership you'll be getting $2500~$3000 quotes for new battery, installed. Then talk directly to Toyota, they've been known to come through for 50%, in cases like this.

14. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Check out these OBD2 scanners.

tachyontechtools website, under Toyota Prius. The site isnt letting me link.

I would buy a scanner that reads battery cell voltage, find out which cell is dead or dying and replace. Getting to the cells takes time, organization and patience but is definitely doable.

15. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A new battery is never ready to install. Your options are my kit or Toyota. End of list. With Toyota they sell you a case with the battery modules preinstalled. But none of the ECUs or relays or anything. You have to swap those over. Then you send them back your old shell and batteries minus the electronics, aka the core or else you don't get your $1350 back. In mine you get the batteries. You take your old core and remove the old batteries. Put in the new ones and attach a new wiring harness. Kind of the opposite of the Toyota battery in terms of what's needed. Nothing to ship back. You keep your old dead cells possibly resell them.

In a used world you're getting 28 original battery modules of similar capacity. Hopefully they've been tested, sorted, and matched to be similar. You need at least a few hundred modules to do this properly. So your fly by the night guy can't do it. There are a handful of companies that can. Ideally you want thousands and as far as I know there's only one of those companies. You're buying an unknown age and mileage mismash of modules. You may get 5 years out of it. You may get 3 months out of it. The warranty is great but you're going to be down a car and labour everytime. There really isn't a comparison between a used battery and a new battery.

16. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I called Toyota USA today and spoke with her for about 15 minutes .Ultimately I no help whatsoever was offered on the repair

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the awesome explanation. How do I get in touch with you? PM?

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That $4000 quote would very likely be fully installed, with 3 year warranty. No core charge, no hassle on your part. And: it seems very high, if you've only talked to one dealership, do yourself a favour and phone everyone within practical range.

Bay Stater likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    get the toaster for $1,600. and diy, you'll figure it out. you have a lot of life left in your car.

be sure to clean the egr circuit before the headgasket blows. are you burning any oil?

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious why the battery died so soon o_O

Do you ever have pets in the car or something that might clog up the HV battery fan?

Maybe traverse elevation on a regular basis?

Did the dealer offer up any codes or DTCs when they gave the repair quote?