1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well, now you know.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    U.S. Embassy Beirut, Lebanon

"July 15, 2006

This information is current as of today, Sat Jul 15 12:20:12 2006.

A message to the American citizens in Lebanon:

The Department of State continues to work with the Department of Defense on a plan to help American citizens depart Lebanon. As of the morning of July 15, we are looking at how we might transport Americans to Cyprus. Once in Cyprus, Americans can then board commercial aircraft for onward travel. Commercial airlines provide the safest and most efficient repatriation options to final destinations.

The Department of State reminds American citizens that the U.S. government does not provide no-cost transportation but does have the authority to provide repatriation loans to those in financial need. For the portion of your trip directly handled by the U.S. Government we will ask you to sign a promissory note and we will bill you at a later date. In a subsequent message, when we have specific details about the transporation arrangments, we will inform you about the costs you will incur. We will also work with commercial aircraft to ensure that they have adequate flights to help you depart Cyprus and connect to your final destination.

The Department of State continues to work around the clock and will continue to send updates as appropriate."

The U.S. will go into obscene debt to "save" people around the world (as long as their NO Americans)...but U.S. citizens have to pay out of their own pocket for the protection of their own government.

Yep, the presidency is all about character. And I'll take the character of Jimmy Carter over the current resident of the White House any day.

2. wstander

wstander New Member

We charge people all of the time to rescue them when they go where they are advised not to go:

Ignore the warnings off Sunset Cliffs sometime, and when the SDPD comes to rescue you, there will be a bill.

Americans traveling to the Middle East do so at their own peril and have been advised NOT to do so for a very long time.

You failed to note that US citizens LEGALLY there under the official auspices were evacuated using the same rational that President Carter used in deploying the helicopters to rescue the hostage in Iran.

Godiva, what do YOU want done?

3. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]288220[/snapback]</div>
    I'm wondering exactly which White House Administration the policy of charging back for emergency evacuation transportation was enacted? Has it ever been provided as a "free" service?

Are you proposing that taxpayers automatically foot the bill for full transportation of these people back to the US city of their choice, when, far more likely than not, they can well afford to pay their own way home?

When traveling abroad (including a trip that included Israel last year), I assume certain risks involved, including the possibility of emergency transportation home. Why would I ever expect the US goverment to automatically "insure" against that possibility?

4. wstander

wstander New Member

Carefully ignored was this, earlier missive:

"Events in Lebanon underscore the need for caution and sound personal security precautions. Since March 2005, there have been 13 separate bombings in Lebanon, resulting in the deaths of at least 11 people and injuries to more than 100 others.

American citizens should keep a low profile, varying times and routes for all required travel. Americans should also pay close attention to their personal security at locations where Westerners are generally known to congregate, and should avoid demonstrations and large gatherings.

U.S. citizens who are in Lebanon despite this Travel Warning should exercise heightened caution when traveling in parts of the southern suburbs of Beirut, portions of the Bekaa Valley and South Lebanon, and the cities of Sidon and Tripoli. Hizballah has not been disarmed, it maintains a strong presence in many of these areas, and there is the potential for action by other extremist groups in Tripoli.

Palestinian groups hostile to both the Lebanese government and the U.S. operate largely autonomously inside refugee camps in different areas of the country. Intra-communal violence within the camps has resulted in violent incidents such as shootings and explosions. Occasionally this violence spills over into neighboring cities and towns. "

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The UK has sent a warship to ferry it's citizens to Cyprus.

Gee. I wonder what they'll charge their citizens for that?

And what is it with the U.S. government and cruise lines?

6. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 01:33 PM) [snapback]288319[/snapback]</div>

I think that the French and Greek vessel were available; the USA is sending warships.

Nice thing about cruise ships is the accommodations are much nicer...

trust me on this, after 22 years in the navy and being on the warships, they are more comfortable on the cruisers B)

Hope Hizbollah doesn't target the relief ships. :unsure:

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 04:33 PM) [snapback]288319[/snapback]</div>
    why do you always look for negatives?

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The administration states the following:

"payments -- or 'reimbursements' -- to the State Department were mandated under the 2003 Foreign Relations Authorization Act passed by Congress."

I haven't verified if this is true.

Tom

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This reminds me of two doofii American dudes I came across on the island of Majorca, Spain while on a Navy Mediterranean cruise in 1979.

They had a sob story about how they had been bopping around Europe for several months and had run out of money . . . and asked if they could get a ride back to the US on the aircraft carrier.

They weren't very happy when my friends and I told them it was not possible and that we were still going to be in the Mediterranean for a few more months before we returned to Norfolk, Virginia.

They said they wouldn't mind staying on the ship for a couple of months – in fact it sounded “kind of cool floating around an visiting other ports.â€

They actually tried to pull rank by saying that they were US citizens and that we were government employees, and that we were required to bring their request up to our superiors. :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink:

#1) Americans in Lebanon are not required to leave.
    #2) You don't have to take the Embassy's offer of securing transportation. Do it yourself if you can.
    #3) What American does international travel and expects their government to get them home for free? (Oh, yeah, read about the doofii above.)

So your itinerary has changed . . . SO WHAT!

I wonder how many of the evacuees are bitching about having to pay.
    I bet most are glad to get the hell out of there, whatever the cost.

10. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Oddly, I tend to agree with Godiva on this one...

Yeah, ok, you're a dumbass if you choose Lebanon for your vacation, but would it REALLY cost that much to bum some ship somewhere to pick up what I imagine can't be more than a few thousand US Citizens? Heck, at the very least, allow them to hop on in with the Brits back to the UK...

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Usually Damascus is a two-hour taxi ride from Beirut costing $100. On Saturday, the hotel concierge said he could find us only one driver willing to risk the trip, and he wanted $1,000." (Ah, capitalism...gotta love it.)

Holiday in Beirut

"The Orient Queen — which can carry 876 passengers — had been on a cruise of the eastern Mediterranean with 400 people aboard, mostly Lebanese. It was supposed to have returned to Beirut three days ago but was unable to do so because of the Israeli blockade, a U.S. official in Beirut said. While it was in Cyprus, it was chartered by the U.S. to evacuate Americans."

The ship can carry about 750 people. An estimated 8,000 of the 25,000 Americans in Lebanon want to leave....how long will that take?

They did take some children, students and old people off by Helicopter. Don't know what they'll be charging for a Helicopter ride.

"Six chartered passenger ships were due off Lebanon on Wednesday to begin evacuating up to 25,000 Canadians."

"Sweden chartered three ships to help and was awaiting security guarantees."

"Some other European countries, including the Netherlands, said they asked for repayment but did not expect it in many cases."

(You know if the government has a promissory note, they'll squeeze you until you pay.)

"House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi objected, saying it was not Congress' intent to prevent evacuations by making people sign a commitment to pay.

"Nihad Awad, executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said "the highest duty of any president is to protect the lives of Americans.""

"A nation that can provide more than $300 billion for a war in
    Iraq can provide the money to get its people out of Lebanon
    ," Pelosi told CNN. "

I might add...in a timely manner. Then again, the US record on evacuations isn't exactly stellar. And it took them until Tuesday? The cruise ship didn't leave for Beirut until Tuesday? Only one ship?

Chartered Cruise leaves for Beirut

U.S. evacuation effort criticized.

U.S. choppers fly evacuations out of Beirut

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    according to CNN, which we're watching at the moment, there are 25 THOUSAND americans in lebanon.

Wth???

and apparently the government is no longer requiring that evacuees sign a promissory note. but i wonder if they'll be audited on their taxes for the next decade...

13. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]288423[/snapback]</div>

Do you or Pelosi have any idea what it takes to get a ship of any size underway and prepared for evacuees?

All of your screaming here will not impeach Bush, nor will it hasten the rscue of those people. Write some letters, if you must.

The State Department memo you quoted is a standard, stock statement on repatriation. I do not know if any one ever was billed for being rescued in this manner.

Known US personnel, legally 'in country' were evacuated.

I do not understand why you think we are dragging our feet in going after the Americans

At this rate, I suspect you will have an electronic stroke.

14. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 18 2006, 05:33 PM) [snapback]288446[/snapback]</div>

I hope so...

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In Alaska Mountaineers routinely require rescue. I took ages before those folks were billed for their rescues. I think some things are clear calls. You choose to climb a mountain, something with known high risk, high danger to you and any rescuer then you need to be ready, willing, able and even eager to pay the cost of any necessary rescue effort. That said, one of the best arguements against that rule is that those in need of rescue may be reluctant to ask for it knowing that they'll incur costs and take greater risks in an effort to self-rescue. Further, some will be pissed off if they are 'rescued' thanks to the call of a concerned fellow climber when they didn't really need or want to be rescued...who would pay that bill.

In the case of a situation like Lebanon. Anyone traveling there should have been well aware that it was a hot-zone. Tensions were high and there was known inherent risk of traveling there. As stated above no one is being forced to leave Lebanon and thus needn't incur any expense for rescue should they choose to stay.

If they had chosen to leave and other commercial means were available they would have had to pay out of pocket...IOW if the airport weren't bombed they could get on a Delta flight and head home after they paid for a ticket.

In this case the USA is providing an alternative for those who 'choose' to leave. There's no reason my tax money should pay for someone who chose to travel to a hot-zone and then got stuck in a bad situation. I wouldn't expect it if it were me...I'm a frequent traveler and consider the risks before I go and consider how I'll deal with them if they occur.

Certainly no gov't official should have to pay if they were there on official business.

I'm just don't think this is an issue. What if you went to Iraq for a visit or some humanitarian aid mission. Some terrorist bombed the airport and you couldn't get out by your planned means. Do you expect the gov't to pay to get you out of there? What about Iran or Syria if things heat up there while you're on 'holiday'.

This, IMO, is another issue of individual responsibility. You make choices, your choices have consequences, you should bear the costs (financial and otherwise) of those consequences and not blame everyone else or expect someone else to 'make it all better'.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 18 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]288462[/snapback]</div>
    I imagine it has the same degree of difficulty for Canada, Sweden, the U. K. and the Netherlands. They've managed. Hmm. A phone call and a credit card with a really high limit? Of course, if all of the other countries have already booked all of the available ships, it might take longer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 18 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]288462[/snapback]</div>
    I've posted in Fred's House of Pancakes. My subject is consistent with the subjects here. Just sharing some more of our government in action. No one's screaming. I did bold a quote to emphasize that particular quote. It's a little bigger than I planned but I left it as it was. Last I checked I not only have freedom of speech under the Constitution but can also scream if I want, as long as I'm not screaming "FIRE" in a crowded movie theater. The constitution. That would be the constitution our Attorney General calls an "outdated document" and Bush calls "just a goddamned piece of paper". Didn't he take an oath to uphold that goddamned piece of paper? If Neocon's are going to get in a tizzy about the sanctity of the second amendment, they're going to have to recognize the equality of the first.

I'll scream if I want to.

And you don't know that they won't.

So you're saying 25,000 Americans somehow got into Lebanon illegally? Or you're saying our government only looked out for it's employees? Or at the very least....assured that they were evacuated safely first before considering the rest.

Because other countries seem to have been that much faster. It's not like we had to send a ship all the way from New York. Or use a telegraph to make arrangements. Or carrier pidgeon.

Wow, didn't take long to be swiftboated.

17. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Well, now the goverment has caved to pressure and it was just reported that they will not charge for transporting our citizens. However, now the issue is how far behind other countries we are in getting our people out.

Maybe W has a secret plan, and our 25k U.S. Citizens are covert operatives that are going to suddenly rise up and attach Hezbollah!

I am just worried that Hezbollah is going to launch a missile at one of those rescue ships, most likely ours!

WW3 will then come for sure!

18. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 18 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]288446[/snapback]</div>
    That number does not surprise me, why does it surprise you?

It's the peak of the summer travel season and people often travel back to their homelands (even if now US citizens or children of immigrants) to visit relatives.

I'm sure there are also thousands of US citizens in any given country at any given time there on business travel.

A friend who traveled with our group to Egypt last February had been to Beirut in November 2004 to visit family. To my surprise, he said the city had rebuilt and recovered remarkably from all the destruction 25 years earlier and that it was a beautiful city to visit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2006, 10:36 PM) [snapback]288500[/snapback]</div>
    Compared to Canada, Sweden, the U.K. and the Netherlands, I wonder if COMBINED they had anywhere near as many of their nationals in Lebanon as the US (25K as reported above)?

19. kam

kam New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AnOldHouse @ Jul 19 2006, 09:46 AM) [snapback]288618[/snapback]</div>
    It's being reported that 30,000 Canadians have registered with the embassy in Beirut.

Of course, even up here everyone's complaining that the evactuation is taking too long and is completely disorganized.

20. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kam @ Jul 19 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]288645[/snapback]</div>
    That's interesting to note. If you believed certain posters here, it's only the US that ever has such problems and only under certain Administrations.