1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well there's your problem!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bsoft, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bsoft

bsoft New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was turning left into the Taco Bell parking lot, when I saw the other driver (in a green Honda SUV) closing quickly - it was at that moment that I knew a crash was unavoidable.

Both myself and the other driver (no passengers in either vehicle) were fine. The Prius was lit up like a Christmas tree after the crash. The MFD wins the "understatement of the year" award - after the crash, the MIL was lit (yes, I think it's broken!) and the car wouldn't start.

As you can see, the passenger side curtain airbag deployed, but none of the other airbags did. The entire vehicle was thrown about 20-30 feet and spun 180 degrees - it happened so fast that I don't remember a bit of it.

The Prius (2006 package 7, about a month old at the time of the collision) is currently being repaired (after a lengthy debate about whether it should be totaled); I'll post photos of the aftermath.

The passenger side windows were rolled down at the time; interestingly the front passenger window did not shatter; the rear passenger side window was the only glass (on the Prius) that was damaged in the crash.

2. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 15 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]286644[/snapback]</div>
    OMG! that sucks sorry for this disaster bsoft. :angry: Don't forget to get diminution in value.

Wildkow

3. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

It's just a scratch. It will buff right out.

I'm thankful no one was hurt!

4. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 15 2006, 02:03 AM) [snapback]286644[/snapback]</div>
    Your Mother-in-Law was Lit? I hope she wasn't the one driving... :rolleyes:

And thx for the pix--interesting to see what the "side curtain airbag" looks like--I guess "side venetian blind airbag" was too long...

Glad you're ok. Probably best you don't remember it! DH once did a 360 on 280 (or was that a 280 on 360...?)...Anyway--I would SWEAR it was about 3 360s, but DH and son SWEAR it was just one. In any case, I've requested no repeats...and none of you ever heard that if you ever meet MY MIL. :eek:

5. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OUCH!

Glad everyone was OK and walked away from it. That is the important part.

6. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 15 2006, 05:03 AM) [snapback]286644[/snapback]</div>
    I sympathize entirely! My old car was t-boned on the driver's side in April - I never saw the car coming and the first I knew there was a problem was when I got hit and started to spin. I THINK I went airborne for a bit because I remember the THUNK when I landed (before the WHAM when my rear end hit a tree saving me from going into the river).

My head hit the driver's window twice (with the THUNK and the WHAM), and I sat in the car dazed, looking in the rear view mirror noticing that the left side of my forehead now looked like Sponge Bob Square Pants.

I got my Prius 8 days later, and when I picked up my plates, I laughted because they were # UPD58L - UPDate, I'm 58 and Living!

Three months later, I still have a small bruise and bump, but I'm happily driving my Prius and counting my blessings. (I assume the other driver was fine - he was walking around while the rescue squad checked me out).

I'm sorry your car was hurt, but I'm really glad you and the other driver are ok, and that your attitude seems to be in spectaculaly good shape!

7. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Each time I hear about the type of experiences you share in a thread like this I shudder. I pray for the day where better use of technology can be used to reduce the number of these experiences. Driving a car these days can be downright difficult and the amount of "input" a driver has to assimulate is getting higher and higher over time. Hopefully, technology will help us with that in the future.

Glad to hear you all came through it.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 15 2006, 05:05 AM) [snapback]286664[/snapback]</div>
    MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light. It is the red triangle with the exclamation point in its center.

Why don't you add an acronym dictionary to your Favorites or Bookmarks?

Here is a good one: TheFreeDictionary

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow. I was wondering how you ended up on the curb on that side of the road if it was a left turn + collision.

What happened to the airbag near the "B" pillar? It seemed to be caught on something cause it should've covered the entire window. Odd that the front-seat side airbag didn't deploy. I know the rear door was hit. Maybe it was smart enough to know the rear was the point of impact so it didn't have to deplot the side airbag.

Either way, glad you're okay. It seems that the door took the brunt and had minimal intrusion into the cabin (aside from a crack near the speaker cover. Who knew the speaker had a red ring?)

10. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OUCH!

Be thankful no one was hurt. And driving is so hard now- you REALLY have to be on the defensive 110% of the time.

Good luck with the repairs~

11. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Too bad you hadn't installed protective side moldings. :D Glad no one was injured.

12. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bsoft @ Jul 15 2006, 04:03 AM) [snapback]286644[/snapback]</div>
    Let your insurance adjuster know that you have heard that since the main frame was bent that it could never be repaired back to safety specifications. If you are ever in another accident again and anyone is injured that a good attorney could come back and hold the original insurance company liable for negligence for not totaling out the vehicle. Even the other car could sue if your crumple zones don't absorb enough energy from the crash and sue as well.

You would be very surprised how fast the insurance agent will back peddle.

It of course is your life, family, and friends in that car with you. You have to be the one to decide if your and their safety is worth it.

FACT: If the structural body is bent in anyway it will never be as strong, or will not crumple correctly in the proper way.

If there was no damage to the structural body, I would not worry at all as they can fix it.

Sorry to hear about you accident and I am glad no one was hurt.

13. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 15 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]286761[/snapback]</div>
    Since the passenger seat has a weight sensor to determine if there's a child in the passenger seat, I assume the passenger side air bag was turned off.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  15. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jul 15 2006, 11:55 AM) [snapback]286829[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds logical -- but is was his driver's side airbags that didn't go off -- the passenger side-curtain airbag did deploy. So the "seat sensor" probably didn't have anything to do with it.

16. Jeannie

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jul 15 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]286952[/snapback]</div>
    I see the driver's side airbags didn't go off, but the impact was on the passenger side. His passenger side curtain airbag went off, but I don't see that the 'side airbag' in the passenger seat went off.

When I got t-boned, I didn't have side airbags, and my front airbags didn't go off, because there wasn't any impact on the front - only the side and the rear.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jul 15 2006, 05:40 PM) [snapback]286952[/snapback]</div>
    I too think they are referring to the airbag built into the front seats.

Hey bsoft, sorry to see your car look like that! :(

Did the passenger seat bag deploy? (The angle of the picture could be obscuring it.)

If the bag was not deployed, it may have been due to the sensor in the seat, but we would need an expert to tell us the full story. Even with a small child in the front seat, considering the alternative, I can't imagine it not being deployed in that situation. :huh:

I like the looks of that big puffy pillow near the head of the rear passenger. Hope I never get the chance to utilize it, even though it looks very comfy. ;)

18. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Jul 15 2006, 02:29 AM) [snapback]286648[/snapback]</div>
    Amen to that!

Sorry it happened. :( Whether you've owned it for 1 month or 1 year, it's still isn't pretty.

19. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Glad your safe, but I'm sure it was hard to see your Prius look like this! Hopefully, they will return it to perfect condition.

20. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Sorry to see your baby hurt, but glad that you're not. Hope they make it as good as new.