1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Well wishing to everyone out there

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by HybridMario, Oct 19, 2011.

1. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been lurking on PriusChat for a while now and, as I finally got my own Prius, I decided to create an account and join the conversations.

I purchased a 2006 Prius with roughly 90,000 miles on it. There was a few hiccups, but I think I would be hard pressed to have a better experience. I bought it from a Lexus dealer (Wow! What a great lobby!) -- they replaced the hybrid battery for me and loaned me a Lexus ES300 meanwhile. Another wow!

Once the repairs were done, I picked up the Prius and I've been driving it since and averaging 52MPG combined treating it like a newborn baby all the while. :D

To get to the point -- I'm happy to finally have one to call my own and I hope I get to contribute to this forum in the future.

bisco likes this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome aboard! :welcome:

Kind of hard to complain about 52mpg, huh? With a little time and practice, you can bring that up if you want. Of course, as I'm sure you've read, geography, temperature and conditions are huge factors.

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :welcome:

2006 and had the hybrid battery replaced? Probably you mean the 12V battery, not the traction battery.

4. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm already using some pretty extreme careful driving to achieve that. I don't think I'll be able to get any higher without using hypermiling techniques. But yes, I am aware of the conditions that affects MPG -- I'm just glad I got the Prius in warmer conditions to see this instead of winter. :)

I'm pretty sure it is the traction battery. During my test drive, the Prius' acceleration/MPG became shot. Furthermore, according to the mechanic that did the work on my Prius, he said the ECU had gone bad causing the battery to go bad too -- the ECU is connected to the traction battery, isn't it?

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to the mad house :welcome:

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should just say "Welcome" and leave it at that....

But that's not me.

Just out of curiousity, did you need the Hybrid Battery replaced? Little odd that a 5 year old Prius with less than 100,000 miles on it would need the Hybrid Battery replaced.

Did they replace with new? Nice, I guess, that you drive off the lot with a new Hybrid Battery. But I'd be wondering why it needed one...

7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My money is on it being the 12volt that was replaced.

It would be very unlucky to have a HV battery fail at only 90k miles.

8. HybridMario

HybridMario New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I definitely needed it. The acceleration slowed to a crawl -- I'm talking 0-60 in 60 seconds here -- and the fuel efficiency went down to 30MPG. According to the dealership, it was the ECU that caused the battery to go bad. Also, yes, it is new.

It was very lucky to have it fail during the test drive :). Better to have them give me a brand new one for free than to have to replace it later at my own cost.

Furthermore, they also replaced the ECU, so hopefully, I won't have to replace the battery again any time soon.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I sincerely hope it works out for you. I suppose it is a positive that you have a brand new battery and a ECU.

Best of Luck.

10. Prius blog

Prius blog New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Four
    To all Prius enthusiasts out there. Anyone experienced with High Voltage HV battery reconditioners? Been researching it for a while, and want to give it a try
    2009 Prius with 200k miles
    2017 Prius with 120k miles
    check me out at priusdotblog

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are threads here on that very subject

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    spoilsport

If link spam falls in a forum, but it says it's for a Prius blog, does it get a report?

I say yes ....