1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Went to the mountains in our Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jendbbay, Jul 31, 2007.

1. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

Well, we did it. We took the car on a family trip. We had assumed this would not be possible, since our trips are all camping trips and we have way too much stuff to fit into that tiny car. Wrong! It all fit easily -- more easily than it fits into our Honda Accord LX, 1998. The only concession I made to the Prius is that I did not bring our large cooler. Instead, we had one small one and one even smaller one.

I found the Prius easy to pack, since I was not forced to bend over and thereby throw out my back -- always an annoying way to start a trip.

Our MPG was not terrific. We got around 44 to 46 for the entire trip. I had thought it would be close to infinite on the way down the mountain, but it really wasn't, and the trip had a lot of flat, hot miles during which we crossed the Central Valley and used AC.

Our normal MPG is around 52 these days, but we saw less than that during the winter. The car is fully broken in, and we did see improvement in MPG after 10K. We now have 16k on it.

Okay, the problem...

We were going up the mountain and the displayed outside temp was 94. We had the AC on with moderate force. We lost power and noticed that the battery display showed purple bars -- maybe only 2?

I was quite worried, I switched to the climate control display and noted that we were recirculating the air. I switched to the other choice to bring in fresh air. Immediately, the power came back. I told my husband that must have been the problem. He was quite perturbed with me for this idiotic theory. He claimed that you want recirculated air to make the car work less hard to cool it down. Okay, I admit that is a reasonable theory, but I had this feedback experience --switch to fresh, problem went away.

So, if I was wrong, what was going on? If I was right, why/how could my illogical theory be right?

We did not have the problem again, though we saw many times, while up at 8700 feet, when the battery level was down to the two last purple pips. We never lost power again, however, and the car was able to recharge when it felt the circumstances were right to do so. I'm not exactly sure why it would get so close to using up the charge, but other than the one loss of power episode while climbing mountain, we had no other ill effects. Once we returned home, emptied car out, and husband resumed his normal commute with it, the MPG returned to the 52 or 53 that he normally gets.

Many thanks for any ideas you may have.
    jen

2. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

There is absolutely no problem with going down to 2 pink bars... It happens all the time, even in normal everyday flat traffic. That is completely within the normal range of operation for the Prius, so you needn't worry about that! It won't let the car go any lower than what it's designed for...

As for the recirc/fresh thing, that sounds very odd to me also... Hopefully one of the more techie types can theorize on the behavior you saw...

-Vikki

3. qwagmire

qwagmire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually you may have helped. Sometimes climbing mountains the reduced air pressure messes up the climate control system. Cycling through different climate settings undoes the problem.

Im new to the Prius, but in one of my trucks had "issues" on I-70 going from Utah to Colorado and when I turned off the AC you could hear the vacuum going away. I turned the AC right back on and no more issues.

4. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jul 31 2007, 05:27 PM) [snapback]488393[/snapback]</div>
    When you switched to "fresh" and the power came back did you still have the two purple bars? Could you have turned the A/C off? Also, how many people in the car?
    I was at same altitude with four adults and had very little power up a longer grade. I'm trying to get some correlation between power and air conditioner mode. On the surface, there doesn't seem to be any. :unsure:

5. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Jendbbay,

My guess is that with multiple people in the car, and recirc on, is that the humidity in the air built up. And the car was trying to use the AC as a dehumifier, by running the condensor very cold. The extra AC electricty load pulled down the battery. It appears (appears only) that turning off the Recirc in this situation resulted in the AC being used to cool the outdoor air, which seems to require less AC electric load than dehumidifying the interior air. Which might be the case in the mountains, as the outdoor air is less dense, and much drier than near sea level.

Again, this is only a guess.

6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Jul 31 2007, 08:27 PM) [snapback]488393[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Jen,

I assume by "loss of power" you mean the acceleration was a lot weaker than normal...?

As you know, the Prius uses the high-torque electric motor to provide the low-speed acceleration, since the engine (ICE) has very little torque. If your battery is low, then the car has little to power the electric motor, and the result is much weaker acceleration.

Climbing hills draws extra power, as does the A/C. I believe the recirc draws even more (the dealer always uses Max A/C with recirc to drain the battery for testing :huh: ), though perhaps someone with more technical insight can confirm that.

It simply sounds like you reached a condition where the battery was near empty and you had temporary weak acceleration until either the load was reduced or battery charge was built.

Either way, it sounds like your Prius was operating exactly as designed, and I wouldn't worry about it. B)

7. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

Note that my 2007 Prius Touring gets 8 to 10 mpg less when AC is on and the ICE (internal combusion engine - i.e. gas engine) is on.

8. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Contributing factors:

1) Sounds like you had your poor Prius loaded down with stuff, hubby or wife and camping equip adding weight to what it had to pull up the hill.

2) Any gas engine (and person) will have less power at higher altitudes due to decreased air available. 8700 ft is pretty high.

Yes, the AC will pull your battery down to pink (purple), but like others said it won't hurt anything, the computer babies the battery. At pink the battery still has around 40% charge. Mine always goes pink at McWendy's drivethrough... Here if there are only 3 cars in front of you it will still take 15 minutes to get up to the window and the AC will pull the battery down. Then every time the car moves a little the ICE will come on. You will have less power when you hit the street because the battery is not providing much if any power, it's mostly up to the ICE. But it should recover within 5-10 minutes with normal driving. I hadn't heard the theory about AC recirc/fresh... with mine the computer decides which to use. When I first got this car I tried to adjust the AC and Heater... after a few weeks I gave up and just started leaving it on auto set points or turning it off because it seems to have a mind of its own. Forget turning off AC and going to just outside air with no AC (you gotta push about 6 buttons and lower the temp all the way), mine always blows warm anyway unless its below about 60 degrees. One of my few pet peaves with this car.

9. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OlsonBW @ Aug 1 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]488766[/snapback]</div>
    What do you normally get? I'm in Las Vegas, and my 07 Touring went from 46 to 42 when I started running the AC full time, and I bet my AC has to work harder.

10. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

I am making a general reply to all 8 posters!

Thanks for your inputs all 8 of you. I had to rush out of here and was preoccupied all day with things and forgot that I had a question brewing here.

I actually ran into the problem on the way up the mountain when I was at about 5 thousand feet and going mostly uphill and running the AC on recirc. Switching to fresh immediately restored power andI never lost power again for the duration of the trip, even though I saw the pink 2 pips left on the battery a number of times. I'm voting for the humidity theory. That the three of us, particularly with my husband talking constantly about his programming issues, caused the AC to have to work harder.

I took avid note of above-mentioned fact that the method of choice for draining the batt involves use of recirc! I am thinking that it was under such load that the batt could no longer assist in powering the car.
    By the way, we did not experience such high external temperatures for the remainder of the uphill climb as the temperatures higher up were down into the 80's and even high 70s.

I love our Prius and now consider it a completely viable trip car for the three of us and all our stuff. My husband drives 75 miles each week day, and during the regular school year, I add 10 to that plus about 20 on the weekend for about 21Kper year. At 3 per gallon, our crossover point is going to be in the 4th year of ownership, not the 10th as the articles were saying before we bought. And, of course, had we been able to hold off to purchase it until now, the crossover point when compared with the Honda Accord LX would be in the 2nd or 3rd year of ownership! It is not hard to see why the Prius was bought by more people in Silicone Valley last month than any other car.

jen

11. pingman

pingman New Member

i just turn off a/c when climbing hills problem solved :p

12. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spoid @ Aug 1 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]488858[/snapback]</div>
    Here in Seattle I was getting around 51.4 mpg (55-75 degrees) and it quickly dropped to 50.3 (75 to 95 degrees) sparingly using AC (meaning until my wife really complains about it being too hot in the car - when she cools off I turn it back off again). If AC was kept on all the time we would be averaging at best low to mid 40s.

Keep in mind that there are no flat areas of Seattle and also that Seattle ranks as some of the worst stop and stay stopped and move a little, ok go, no stop, traffic in the country.

Forecast for the next 7 days is mid 70s to low 80s. It was 88 degrees yesterday afternoon. Yes, in Seattle.

13. bmwquickspeed

bmwquickspeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if this is something related to older Prius cars or maybe my battery is loosing capacity but on my car if I am lugging up a mountain I commonly see 1 bar.

I was never really concerned unitl I have noticed many saying that there battery never goes below 2 bars.

On the same subject I am also curious if anybody has seen no bars as I have never seen this condition.

When I get down to 1 bar you can hear my engine working much harder though.

14. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bmwquickspeed @ Aug 3 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]490110[/snapback]</div>
    Unless you have over 150,000 miles on your Prius I wouldn't even begin to worry about your batteries (or gas engine for that matter) on your Prius. It's made by Toyota or conforms to Toyota quality standards.

15. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bmwquickspeed @ Aug 3 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]490110[/snapback]</div>

If I leave my foot on the pedal going up the Coquihalla Hwy, the SOC drops down to 26%, which would probably be 1

16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the Prius cannot go to the mountain then the mountain must come to the Prius.

17. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

Yesterday I was out with my wife on a little mini-roadtrip to Lafayette (we're in Fremont, so it's only about 30 miles or so away) and I encountered something that might be similar. The trip there was just fine, but when we got out of the car we noted the temperature differential between Fremont, which is near the bay, and Lafayette, which is pretty far up into the hills from Oakland and Berkeley. It can't have been more than 80 when we left Fremont but somehow it was in the upper 90s in Lafayette.

Anyway, we left going down CA-24 and the interior of the car was hot, so the Prius had A/C and recirc on. I think it was going down CA-24, anyway; it seemed like no matter how much I stepped on the gas (up to 3500rpm) the Prius couldn't keep its speed. I dropped from 53.3 to 53.1 mpg in a 5-minute stretch. I guess maybe in that area you are climbing a hill, since after a litttle while we hit the Caldecott and the real downhill portion and all of a sudden I was maintaining 75 even without warp stealth.

I'm going on a roadtrip up I-80 to SLC and beyond next week, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. ;)

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jendbbay @ Aug 2 2007, 04:12 AM) [snapback]489154[/snapback]</div>
    So let's see: Partway up the mountain you switched from recirc to fresh, and at the same time the outside temperature was dropping from 94 degrees down to the high 70s - and yet, somehow, you people are trying to attribute the additional available power to the dehumidification aspects of air conditioning? :huh:

IF changing from recirc to fresh had any affect on the car's performance, I doubt it had anything to do with dehumidification.
    Dehumidification happens when warm moist air come in contact with the cold fins of the evaporator unit. This happens whether the car is in recirc or fresh air mode.

If anything, if we are going to try to attribute the increased performance on changing from recirc to fresh air, my guess would be the extra cool air being blown through the traction battery helping keep it cool. If you are forcing air into the car, it also needs to escape, and the traction battery vent is the most logical place.

By the way, do you remember hearing the traction battery cooling fan while you were experiencing sluggish performance?

Overall, I think the drop in outside temperature was the major factor in increasing available power.

19. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Sufferin..

Who is insisting on anything? Your quote was not in the original post, or before any post I made. The system probably works to ensure comfort level. So, with lower temp, higher humidity might still be a net confort level improvment. AND, I did leave the posibility open in my post regarding thermal load change, without specifically mentioning it. That was in my thinking as a possibility when I wrote it. But, I wrote the comment as if the OP had been complete in her original description, and had told us the whole set of facts. Specifically, the temperature was still 94 F when she opened recirc.

Another thing is that the amount of water vapor air can hold at higher altitude and lower temperatue is less (in both cases). There is less water vapor in 70 degree 50 % R.H. air than 94 F 50 % R.H. air. So, flowing outside air inside would automatically dehumidify the cabin, not only by dilution, but difusion. Besides cooling the cabin air, as the outside air is now cooler.

So, dehumdification could still be the issue. As why did the AC still pull lots of power when the recirc was closed? If the air was cool outside, the thermal performance of the AC would have been allot better. But she reports only after opening recirc did vehicle power improve.

The AC could have still dropped out of dehumidification mode, and even turned the compressor off, as all cooling and dehumidification would have been provided by ventilation.

The hypothesis here is that an automatic dehumidication mode could still be the root cause of the high AC power demand in this case.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Aug 5 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]491001[/snapback]</div>
    OK, that makes sense too . . . BUT . . . the OP was driving across the Sacramento/San Joaquin (pronounced Wah-keene) Valley and into the Sierra during the summer . . . an area of the country know for its low humidity - especially on the days when the temperatures are in the 90s or 100s.

In high humidity areas, I could see where leaving recirc on would make sense.

I normally run the AC at about 80 degrees, fan on fairly high, and fresh air. To me, that is more comfortable than having slower moving very cold air blowing from the vents . . . but I don't know what would be the best settings for high temperature, high humidity areas . . . never been there in a Prius.