1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

West/Otto/Atkinson/Miller cycle multimode hybrid engine.

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wwest40, May 15, 2010.

1. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    By request...

An ideal ICE would adjust the compression ratio as a function of cylinder charge. DFI, Direct Fuel Injection, engines are now running with a 12:1 CR with a FULL cylinder charge. Wouldn't it be highly desireable to keep that compression ratio even at part throttle, especially just cruising allong at a relatively constant speed..?

But until the technology is available, readily and inexpensively available, then how about...?

"EFFECTIVE" CR change..?

A West/Otto/Atkinson/Miller cycle multimode "variable" compression ratio engine using current "off-the-shelf" mechanical technology/capability.

The new RX450h V6 uses multimode capability, switching between Otto mode and Atkinson cycle mode as engine power output requirements change.

The RX450h doesn't yet make use of DFI so the native/static CR, purely mechanical CR, is 13:1. As long as the cylinder charge due to throttle opening doesn't rise above ~70% then the net "effective" CR is only 10:1.

But once the cylinder charge reaches or exceeds 70% the RX450h's e/VVT-i, Extended VVT-i, system enters Atkinson cycle mode. e/VVT-i is used to change, delay, the intake valve closing time in order to keep the effective CR at 10:1.

Once the RX450h adopts DFI the native/static CR can become 15-16:1.

But then that results in a relatively small combustion chamber area and with only the possibility of further reduction, effective reduction. How do we reach 100-150HP from the hybrid ICE alone as the US public demands.

So, how about changing the actual engine displacement volume, EFFECTIVELY, via TurboCharging...?

Turbocharging....NO...!

Atkinson engines typically use up more/most of the power derived from air/fuel combustion within the cylinder, resulting in only enough power left in the exhaust to keep the catalyst up to operating temperature.

SuperCharging.....?

Yes, YES, but not in the traditional way/method.

But in the mid-fifties Studebaker used a positive displacement VARIABLE SPEED SuperCharger in the Golden Hawk product series. Studebaker used a conventional, V-belt, CVT to vary the level of intake air compression independent of engine RPM.

SuperCharging....CVT....hmmmmmmmm.....PSD....

A small, lightweight, carbon fiber composition positive displacement SuperCharger driven by a Toyota HSD type CVT/(PSD). The ICE as one input and a small permanent magnet rotor electric motor as the "opposite", opposition or aiding/addition, input. Say like, and maybe even closely equal to, the low HP motor/inverter current driving the "electric" A/C compressor.

No SuperCharging at all unless the driver "calls" for it. No intake airflow for even ICE idling, none at all, actually, unless the engine control ECU "calls" for it.

No throttle plate....???

Intercooling is a given, so why not "store up" A/C refrigerant and then use it selectively to cool the SC charge when the ICE is running under boost...?

Sub-1L I4(***) engine doing the work of the current Prius ICE...?

75MPG...?

And why not throw in an Oxygen generator/separator (500W) to effectively increase the ICE's displacement at/with WOT..?

Compress and store the Oxygen for use only during serious, WOT acceleration events. And when the low duty cycle generator/separator is running port the separated nitrogen to the intake to lower pumping losses in the same why EGR works.

Every little thing helps.

Maybe even use a LOX tank.

*** Only 4 cylinder engines, or multiples of 4, are "natural" Atkinson engines. One cylinder "exhausting" (compression stroke/cycle) airflow back into the intake manifold just as its opposite cylinder is drawing air in (intake stroke/cycle). The two pistons are operating in perfect angular, crankshaft angular, synchronization.

That's why the RX450h's V6 doesn't normally run in Atkinson mode, otherwise it would have too much intake noise from "non-synchronous" reverse airflow pulses within the intake manifold.

Clever, those Toyotians.

1 person likes this.
  2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ironically, the huge Prime Mover V-16's and V-20's, used to provide >5 MW power generation either Prime Power, or industrial, have many advances now in per-cylinder fuel, spark, and cam control.

Research on per-cylinder CR adjustment promises to make these Prime Movers even more efficient. With Combined Heat and Power, >85%

3. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It will need aviation fuel, 100+ octane, to run in Otto cycle with 15:1 compression ratio.

4. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So for us non-engineers out here:
    1. What's the difference between turbocharging and supercharging?
    2. How could you get the same engine to do both Otto and Atkinson cycles?

Just wondering.

5. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A turbocharger is driven from from a turbine on the engine exhaust therefore re-capturing some of the heat left in the exhaust.

A supercharger usually is driven from a belt connected to the engine itself. There are also electric superchargers that are driven by an electric motor.

Turbochargers are usually more efficient then superchargers and if designed for efficiency (vs power) can make an engine more efficient then an engine without any form of exhaust boost.

1 person likes this.
  6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why?

Consider the Prius, it runs just fine on 87 octane

With variable valve timing, knock sensors to provide full range timing control, an otto cycle can run just fine on pump gas. Throw in all the tricks with variable compression ratio, and you have a much more efficient motor running on pump gas

7. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not if you use DFI and only partially, 70%, fill the cylinder with A/F mixture. Actually only AIR initially and then adding, injecting, fuel near TDC.

At 1/2 throttle and above the e/VVT-i system would begin moving the intake camshift such that the intake valve closing is delayed. So at WOT 30% of the intake charge is now ejected back into the manifold.

8. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The bad news, really BAD news, about TurboChargers is the fact that the base, static, compression ratio must be substantially below what would be standard for a NA Otto engine. Take Ford's gas-guzzling EcoBoost TurboCharged DFI engine's for instance. Porsche and Lexus DFI engines have a CR in the range of 12:1 while the Ford, and other TurboCharged DFI engines have a CR in the range of 10:1.

The base/static CR of a DFI TurboCharged engine must be keep low, INEFFICIENT, in cruising mode, low to moderate throttle openings, in order to all for boost pressure. TurboCharging BOOST pressure, assuming intercooling, might easily raise the EFFECTIVE CR above 12:1.

So the engine is highly efficient "on-boost", but of relatively poor effeciency for simply cruising along, probably 98% of the time for most of us.

Poor compromise, REALLY poor compromise, unless you have the mentality of a "boy-racer".

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Though not an automotive engineer, I'll try to answer anyway ...

If an Atkinson cycle engine has adjustable valve timing (Prius does) and sufficient adjustment range to move the valve closing all the way back to the start of the compression stroke (Prius doesn't), then at that limit it would be an Otto cycle.

1 person likes this.
  10. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The 2010 Prius, when running in Atkinson cycle mode, has an effective CR of 10:1. Base/static CR is 13:1 so part throttle Otto mode is/remains highly efficient.

11. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Sorry, now not so sure, but I thought that I saw in the Prius factory repair/shop manual that the latest model did use e/VVT-i to change modes.

I remember for certain that the RX450h does.

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It might help if we use distinct terms:

• Expansion stroke ratio - the change in volume on the power stroke
    • Compression stroke ratio - the change in volume on the compression stroke
    Ordinary engines have fixed cam geometries and are unable to vary the intake fuel-air charge except by having a throttle plate to restrict input flow. Better engines change the angle and the best can change angle and duration.

Engine designers have conflicting requirements and I agree that a turbo-charger is best used when there is a known, base power setting. This allows the turbine and engine to be tuned for an optimum but somewhat narrow power band. The German car makers include variable turbine vanes and high temperature valving to expand the range but glowing-hot, moving parts are a significant technical challenge (i.e., hurts reliability.) Then add the problem of catalytic converter heat.

Catalytic converters need to be kept in a narrow temperature range and free from 'poisons' like engine oil. This adds one more challenge to the turbo-charger engineer. The exhaust gas temperature is part of how the turbine gains power from the expansion cooling and turbines like it hot.

Base power plants achieve higher than Carnot efficiencies by topper cycles and using the waste heat. IMHO, co-generation would be an ideal solution if integrated with house utilities: pre-heating hot water tank input; space heating and; absorption cooling.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're not the only person who thinks this is a good idea. It really should be a no-brainer

Consider the substantial savings that result from CHP when applied to industrial processes

14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Prius engine never run in Otto cycle, it remain in Atkinson cycle at all rpm range with an equivalent CR of 10:1 but delay intake valve closure, so 87 octane is OK.

In the previous poster claiming there is a mechanical mean to switch an engine from to Atkinson cycle and Otto cycle freely but with a fixed mechanical 15:1 CR, then 100+ octave fuel must be used to prevent detonation in Otto mode.
    DFI can manage about 13:1 CR but not 15:1.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If by "e" you mean electronic, the Prius engine is only "e/VVT"
    if you count the oil control solenoid managed by the ECU. Oil
    pressure through the cam vane chamber does the heavy lifting.

http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/training/800/vvti.gif

_H*

16. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    You're missing the point.

If the throttle is only open less than 30%(***) then it is NOT possible to full fill the cylinder on a single intake stroke. Absent a fully filled cylinder the base/static CR could be 20:1 (***) and still run on 87 octane.

Octane only becomes important when the cylinder gets a "FULL FILL" on each intake stroke.

*** Random, meaningless, numbers selected, except for relativity..

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just thought I'd note that e85 can be applied in place of high-octane gasoline (which is often done in high performance, high-boost applications) so 100+ octane is not necessarily required assuming fuel delivery is sufficient.

18. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I can tell you quite factually that E85 is detrimental to gasoline system seals, sealing. It even appears me that the wintertime addition of ethanol might also be detrimental but over multiple years of use...

19. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry you missed the point, not me.
    You are going to design engine that can only have a throttle opening less than 30% and increase plumbing losses and power loss.
    An effective engine needs to be able to run WOT when power demand is high. So "FULL FILL" is needed in an OTTO cycle engine, but " FULL FILL" is reduced to run an OTTO cycle in Atkinson cycle mode by delay intake closure to let the air/fuel be push out of the cylinder to make the effective CR be lower than the fixed mechanical CR.
    The Prius engine can be run at WOT.

20. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yes, ALL Atkinson engines can be run WOT, ACTUAL WOT, since the intake valve closing delay is used downstream to effectively limit the "throttle" opening.