1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Western WA tyre stores (Tire Factory)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey,

I'm thinking I might drop by WA stores to see if their prices are any better than those up here. Can anybody recommend a good place to start? Also, will they match TireRack's price?

I can't seem to find the ComforTreds up here so I figured WA stores might have some in stock.

Edit: That is, unless someone can convince me that the Nokian WRs are just as good.

IS the WRs an AS tyre or a winter tyre with summer capabilities?

2. skwimmer

skwimmer New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 22 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]336474[/snapback]</div>

Try a Les Schwab shop. They are ubiquitous but I have always had extraordinary service there. Call and ask if they will match TireRack.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skwimmer @ Oct 23 2006, 05:34 AM) [snapback]336687[/snapback]</div>
    cool, thanks. Any along the I-5 corridor?

4. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is Les Schwab's store locator link. They are close to nearly all freeway off ramps. Several local Prius owners have found that Costco has good deals on high end tires.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I'm now leaning towards the Nokians since I can get them up here.

They're classified as an "all-weather" tyre according to Nokian.

My question is:

a. Is it an AS tyre?

or

b. Is it a winter tyre with summer capabilities?

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Alright... so the time is finally here. The Integritys have 66,000kms on them and the wear bars are definitely visible.

I'd like to get a set of Nokian Tyres and in WA, their authorised dealer is "Tire Factory". The specific location I'm looking at is Zylstra Tire Factory in Lynden, WA.

Has anyone had any experience with Tire Factory? Are they reliable?

TIA!

7. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 13 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]539208[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought the Nokian WR tires today at Tire Factory, but it was in Southern WA.

I would say they are Winter Tires with summer capabilities. They have the Snowflake emblem on the sidewall making them legal snow tires that may be used without tire chains when chains are required. The "summer abilities" comes from their low noise, low rolling resistance and 50,000 mile tread wear. I have heard the treadwear guarentee in Canada is 100,000 KM which is actually a little less, but everyone know that a kilometer is much harder on a tire than 1.6 miles is.

My first drive home today, the roads were dry, and they were fine for me. Handles much better. I wouldn't say they were excessively noisy. DIdn't notice any more noise than with Integrities, and my MPG looks to be about the same, but tomorrow morning will be a better MPG test, and it is supposed to be raining too.

They are supposed to be Low Rolling Resitance and I upsized mine to 195-60R-15, which have 860 revs per mile compared to Integrity's 855 revs per mile.

One thing you may want to be aware of is that they are in the midst of a tread design change from WR to WR-G2. I got the older version because that is what they had.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skwimmer @ Oct 23 2006, 05:34 AM) [snapback]336687[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I know, you will not find Nokian WR or Goodyear Tripple Treads or Comfortreads at Les Schwab. They are very good at Customer Service, but they push brands for which they are the exclusive dealer such as Toyo Tires as their premium brand. I don't have as much faith as I used to in Les Schwab.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Nov 13 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]539222[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the update! You mean a little more? 50,000 = 80,000km.

So all the benefits of the Integrity with none of its drawbacks?

Yeah I saw the WR G2 on their site. It looks like a Fraken-tyre. Half the tread is winter-looking and the other half is all-season/rain design. I think I'll stick with WRs for now and maybe get the G2 in a couple of years when its time to replace the WRs. By then we can see the reviews from other owners.

So the Tire Factory is ok?

9. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Nov 13 2007, 08:22 PM) [snapback]539231[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry, I thought I answered this a few days ago, but i guess my response didn't make the complete trip.

This is my first experience with Tire Factory, but I have no complaints so far. THer prices automatically include mounting ballance, life time flat repairs and tire Rotation with road hazard insurance.

If the store in Lynden is not convenient to visit for all your tire rotations, you may wish to ask them for any discount they would offer witout their tire protection package.

They must be OK, becuase they have a bunch of stores here in the Portland area, and there are plenty of other tire stores to choose, so if they were really bad, people would be going to the others and they would have to close.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Nov 17 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]541167[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah it's a bit far from here lol so I'll ask them about their tyre protection and whether it's "removable"

I hope so cause I called two stores and it said the number is not in service or unavailable. The Lynden store was the first one that I actually got a ringtone for.

11. alg

alg Junior Member

Tire Factory is reliable. Most are independent dealers so the service level can vary. For example, I bought a set of Nokian WR for my wife's Subaru wagon 3 years ago at Kirkland, WA Tire Factory. Their service was good but they had no enthusiasm and didn't go out of the way whereas most recently I bought a set of WRs for my 2008 Prius, I had excellent service from the Tire Factory dealer in Everett, WA. They went out of their way and gave me a descent credit for the Goodyear Integrity tires.

I am a HUGE fan of Nokians with many trips to Mount Rainier and skiing in the Cascades, they are the best tires I have found. I really liked Michelin LTX when I had a VW Vanagon. I even put them on our first minivan. I also really like the Pirelli P3000 performed well in snow. But the Nokian's have amazing grip on sheets of ice.
    They handle much better than the Goodyear Integrity tires.

Good luck,

Al

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    alg, thanks! I'm using Zylstra Tire Factory in Lynden (closest one to the border). Hopefully they're good. They do sound quite friendly on the phone but then again most stores do.

will update on Thurs when I get the tyre swapped.