1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wet Vacuum Detailing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius_Angie, May 19, 2017.

1. Prius_Angie

Prius_Angie Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK, on a recently purchased 2005 Prius I (245,000 miles) i decided to to a wet vacuum detail on the interior upholstery. Twelve years of neglect and a family with 3 young kids left this 2005 Prius sticky, marked up, and with all kinds of debris holed up in crevices many never knew existed in a Prius, such as under seats, behind glove compartment, inside wall of center console, under seat railings, etc. As i recall, I found a chicken wing bone, cereal, earrings, lots of bread crumbs everywhere, marbles, one little green army soldier, crayons and loose change. I can only imagine it was never detailed prior to my purchase. Did you know that there is an extra hidden drawer on the front lower side of the center console, that opens to the front? I didn't know until it tore away at it.
    18.jpg 10.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg

Overall, it took ~3-4hrs starting late AM as i wanted to make the most of the sun drying affects. I started using rubber coated gloves but that quickly went away as the gloves just ended up saturated; probably the better solution are laytex full waterproof of sorts. I mainly used a bucket of warm water and professional-grade solution of rug cleaner, that i got from Lowe's. I was extra generous with spreading the water on the upholstery and interior carpeting. I started with removing the front and rear bench seats, then center console to include breaking that down. I had high pressure washed the upholstery from the HV Battery back to include the wheel well upholstery items; i used a similar water solution & hand brush. Where possible on tough areas i used some "Awesome" degreasing spray solvent to really break down some dark and dingy areas, particularly the back seat bench and floor upholstery. That Awesome-stuff really works great, but you must ensure you get it out or you leave behind some degreaser for car visitors to pick up. It seemed like the family's kids just dropped a jug of milk and left it there 12 years ago--- just pure nasty. I initially gave up on the bench and was contemplating mail ordering for a new one and or tan seat covers, but the Awesome really took the bulk of that black stain out.
    2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 17.jpg 5.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg

#1 Prius_Angie, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    srellim234 and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  2. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You have a lot more ambition than I do. Nicely done!

Prius_Angie likes this.
  3. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Unfortunately I cannot find the before picture of the rear bench seat. It had 2 large black crusty stains that were still crunchy. Here is the after picture.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  5. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was not too happy half way through as things were getting hot, sweaty, sticky! Glad I pushed through the doubt as the car is so much more bearable now in touch, smell and sight. People should get citations for such car neglect as I have witnessed.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our cars tend to stay pretty clean. Our kids cars, not so much. Every so often, typically when somebody's on vacation, I get to deal with the horror stories, lol. do not know why, but I'm thinking of that scene with Mr. Wolf, in Pulp Fiction.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shh...thats the secret compartment..lol...

The G2 has the worst dirt attracting seat fabric ever. I bought my car new and after a week I could see its was getting a little dirty. Bought some Wet Okoles and there bar non the best seat cover ever for comfort and wear. 10 years later still on the car and look good but getting a little worn. But they are very expensive in your case just get a cheap seat cover.

But one thing I do highly recommend is a leather steering wheel cover from wheelskinz. Mine is on 10 years still look good. I do not own a car without that cover that's usually the first thing I add to a new car. It makes the wheel feel awesome. Makes the car feel very different. The G2 has a very abrasive steering wheel. Since you just cleaned the car good the white dust you'll see soon all over the dash is skin from your hands getting cheese grated from the steering wheel.

Wheelskinz are $50 but best $50 you can spend on a car.

Prius_Angie likes this.
  8. Prius_Angie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    edthefox5 likes this.