1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What’s the Difference, Prius 3, Prius 4, Prius 5, Prime?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Michael Crestohl, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Michael Crestohl

Michael Crestohl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have yet to purchase a Prius but I am looking around to add one to the fleet…..

i understand the four “generations” but keep running across Prius, Prius plus a number 3,4,5, Prius Prime, Prius V, etc. i tried searching the forums but did not find an answer.

Yes, I figured out what i Prius plug In is,,…..

So, what is the difference between the above? Inquiring minds want to know!

TIA,

Michael

MY FLEET:
    2010 Ford Crown Victoria
    Police Interceptor (retired VT State Police)
    1968 Airstream Caravel,
    2001 Mazda Miata SE

#1 Michael Crestohl, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you use your fleet vehicles for? Wondering if Prius will be a good choice for you?

Prius has four generations: Gen 1 (1999-2003), Gen2 (2004-2009) Gen3 (2010-2015) Gen4 (2016-Present)

The generation numbers are usually not mentioned and number you see is almost always the Trim package, which is all the upgrades like leather seats, GPS, lane sensing, etc..

There's also Prius C and Prius V that are different designs entirely, both of which were discontinued, one for being too small, one for being too big.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the number indicates the accessory package, which usually bulds on the previous number.

the v is a station wagon type, and the prime is a plug in hybrid

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    PriusCamper is right. Prime is the Buzzword for a Plug in Hybrid version. (Also PIP and PHEV)

As I recall, in recent years they have a jumble of letters instead of numbers, also some years the numbers were roman numerals.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota has done an outstanding job of making this a confusing topic.

The Gen 2 (2004-2009) used numerals with an occasional letter mixed in. Like below. Depending on the model year, there might be trims 1-9, 1-8, 1-5, or even 1-6a and 6b.
    Prius Gen II Packages.png
    The 3rd generation (20010-2015) went to Roman Numerals. So you have things like 2015 II, III, IV, and V (not to be confused with "v," which is a station wagon.

And the gen 4 went back to regular numbers which were 2, 3, 4, 2 Eco, 3 Touring, and 4 Touring. ... until the miid cycle refresh in 2020 where they went to the far less obfuscational LE Eco, LE, LE AWD-e, XLE, XLE AWD-e, and Limited.

And then there is the Prius c and the Prius v, the Plug In Base and Advanced, the Prime Plus, Premium, and Advanced, which later became the LE, XLE, and Limited.

I don't see how anyone would be confused by such a simple and consistent naming pattern.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 3.50.59 PM.png

Sarge likes this.