1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What’s the OBD magic combo for 2021 Prius LE Hybrid OBD?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MonkeeMan, Feb 5, 2024.

1. MonkeeMan

MonkeeMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Hi all! I’m new to Prius annd to OBD use. Seems that finding info about this car is difficult as searches usually bring up Prius Prime LE, and when I search for OBD/app reccos they all talk about Gen 2 or maybe Gen 3.

I’m also learning that how you match up an OBD unit and which app you choose is critical to getting full access to the car’s information. For ex, I have a VeePeak OBD with Torque Pro, and they don’t seem to be compatible to show me the HV battery voltage info. Who knew?

What are some OBD/app combos (iOS or Android) that will give me full info on this Prius, please? Thanks!

2. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, the veePeak is cheap, get the vLinker MC+. It's not much more expensive then the veePeak but way more powerful. I don't see any difference between it and my ODBLink LX I have in my Model 3. The vLinker is about half the price of the OBDLink. It works just as well (and fast) with Hybrid Assistant as well.

3. MonkeeMan

MonkeeMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Thank you! Have you used and found any real difference in apps other than their cost or presentation? I don’t mind spending a bit of money if what I’ll get in return is filling formation access. What I don’t favor is a subscription app, but I know several of them are. I had someone on Reddit give me a link to a bootleg Techstream, but I can’t ever see myself DLing booted software and giving access to my car! Yikes!!

4. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I returned the veePeak because the refresh rate of the data in Hybrid Assistant was way too slow, less than one per second while the vLinker and OBDLink shows several data per seconds and many data weren't even visible, like the MG temperature. The vLinker sees all the data that the OBDLink sees. Works well with Dr. Prius and with Torque Pro.

These don't work with Techstream though. You need a MiniVCI USB cable for that. I can't offer a link since I returned the one I bought since I couldn't get it to connect to my virtual Techstream session.

5. MonkeeMan

MonkeeMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I appreciate this info; it’s exactly what I was looking for! I have a lot to learn about what to look at at how to read the info an app gives me. I’m starting on the ground floor with it but I’m excited to learn it in hopes I can either preempt a problem or fix it without spending a ton of money.

6. sylvaing

sylvaing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hybrid Assistant is the app to use. All available information is available through it and very well presented, plus you can generate reports of past drives. You need an android device though. An old, cheap one will do since it needs Android 4 or newer. Android 4 was released in 2012.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I use 4 apps and they each show a set of similar information and each presents that info in different ways.

DrPrius DrHybrid app - priusapp.com
    was built specifically for observing and diagnosing the Prius Traction Battery. It has a unique dashboard that shows so much relevant info about the battery pack stats that it can be difficult to understand a lot of that info unless you've already used it to diagnose an issue with a battery pack.

Hybrid Assistant app - hybridassistant.blogspot.com
    and it's sister app
    Tire Assistant app - tireassistant.blogspot.com
    @sylvaing has already mentioned above, and for me the app flags my old ODB11 ELM 327 mini adapter as being to slow or faulty, but still works 95% of the dashboard features and logs data for view in the Reporter option. Tire Assistant is for monitoring the tire pressures using the TPMS data accessed through the ODB11 socket.

Car Scanner ELM ODB2 app - carscanner.info
    This app gleens a lot of sensor data and has similar functions to the others and more. There are so many sensors shown in the All Sensors option of the app, it can take a while to learn about what some of them are measuring. I use it specifically for showing the engine coolant temp, intake air temp, transmission oil temp as well as hybrid battery temps and voltages way down at the bottom of the All Sensors option, The battery data can be seen after scrolling at least 5 ( phone screen ) pages worth of sensor readings. Much like the torque free and torque pro app, but with more Prius specific sensors included out of the box ( so to speak ). Though some of the PIDs don't always match a sensor and the readings can look squirrelly for those.

#7 vvillovv, Feb 8, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2024