1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What 17-inch tires are available (90K-mi, all season, costco)?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jmann, Nov 26, 2016.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive a 2006 with 15 inch wheels. I put 90,000 mile (Michilin defender XT) all season tires from Costco on them last year. I like them a lot. Very good in the rain. Fine in the snow. Perfectly adequate the rest of the time. These are fourth set of tires for this car, and best tires I've driven on so far.

I'm shopping for a 2010-2014 model year prius that will likely come with the factory 17-inch rims. When I look up my tire options for the 17-inch rims sold by Costco and others, I'm annoyed by the lack of durable all season tires sold in this size and the costs of 17 inch tires.

Questions:
    Are there any Michelin Defender XT (or equivalent) tires made in a close enough size to 215/45R17 that it is compatible? Preferably in a tire sold at Costco.
    Is there any reason why a swap for 15-inch rims wouldn't work to have access to normal tires? I assume the rest of the car is exactly the same. this has been discussed before. The 17 and 15 inch stock tires have the same circumference.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good to here about your experience with Defenders. We've just purchased a set for my son's civic hybrid, in 195/65R15. Will be installed on loose rims in the next week or two, installed on the car next spring, when the snow's come off. So you've got Defenders four times? That's positive testimony.

Regarding your questions:

1. I'm not seeing a compatible 17" Defender, looking on TireRack. The closest appears to be 215/55R17, which would increase radius by almost 7/8". Not happening, lol.

Our 2010 Canadian Touring Prius comes with the 17" rims. Sometime in the next year or two we'll have to replace our OEM's. If not for wear (we're very low mileage) then for time: the tires were manufactured in the 5th week of 2009.

Currently we have Michelin Pilot HX mxm4. They have the GreenX symbol, but if you go to TireRack, the Pilots are not indicated as GreenX. I'd speculate that Michelin did a special run of tires for Toyota, and that if I was to replace with "same" I'd be in for a mpg drop.

Anyway, right now, for various reasons, head of my list is Michelin Primacy MXM4

2. I switch to 195/65R15 X-Ice every winter, on black steel Corolla rims, works fine.

#2 Mendel Leisk, Nov 26, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  3. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, actually the car started with the integrities. Then a set of Goodyear Triple tread because they were the best rated all season passenger tires. They were crap. Replaced with a set of yokohama. Didn't hold up. Tire dealer didn't honor warranty. So for the next round, I went to Costco for the Defender. I've driven about 35,000 miles on the defender XT, very good. I ultra-commuted between Cleveland and Detroit on these tires. Very good in the rain. Perfectly adequate in the snow (and better than everything else I have driven in the snow)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Dragon Rider

Dragon Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had on my Gen 3 Michelin Primacy I do 100 miles per day which it a lot . I had them for four yr. It summer here in Miami all yr long. Never had an issue. They are really good tire but my rims were 15 . When I had 17 they don't last that long.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.