1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What a cool car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by glenhead, Jul 17, 2006.

1. glenhead

glenhead New Member

We took delivery of our Silver Pine Mica 2006 Prius with Package 4, HomeLink mirror, mats, flaps, etc. on Friday, 14 July. It was supposed to be here between the 20th and 25th - when the dealer called on the 13th to tell us it was here, it was panic time - we'd had a total of two phone calls from the multi-newspaper listings on our '02 Camaro, and really didn't want to take the kind of loss we had to take on it. Sigh.

When we first got in, the seats were gawdawful uncomfortable - until we tilted them back a bit. They're still not like the easy-chair comfort of the seats in the Suburban, but they'll be fine even for longish drives. My wife and I laugh every time we get into or out of the car - one or the other of us will grope for keys, then remember "oh, yeah - smart key". It's even funnier when we shut off the car - we have a complete discussion of it. "Ok, push Park, then Power off. Quit reaching for the keys, Glen, they're not there. Get out, open the door for my wife, push the button to lock. Dang, we'll never have to even touch the key. This is really weird!"

The HomeLink system is pretty cool, too. The rental house we're in has a stone-age garage door opener (my wife's remote is held together with duct tape (that's how it came to us)) and the HomeLink learned it first try.

We're slated to get Michelin HydroEdges put on it tomorrow (the 195/65s). We seem to catch many rainstorms on our twice-a-month trips to Waco, and I want the better wet performance than the OEMs can apparently provide. It's only money...

With just over 100 miles on it, we're running a tad over 41mpg - the Camaro averaged a tad under 20, and the Surbubban is running 11.6mpg on the current all-city tank. Gas prices? We don' worry 'bout no stinkin' gas prices no more!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who has left a tip or suggestion on the forums here - I've learned a lot, and look forward to being able to contribute more as my experience increases.

2. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on the car! I picked mine up on the July 5th. Same here- having a blast driving it. I found the same with the seats- tilt them back a little and they are not that bad.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When you turn it off you don't need to push park first, if you just come to a stop and push power off it will go to park first anyway. Watch the light in the park button or the display and you'll see it happen.

I bought mine last September and I still find myself looking for a key to open the door sometimes, old habits die hard.

4. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 17 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]287528[/snapback]</div>
    Not as bad as getting in the non-smart key car and sitting there with the keys in my pocket and looking for the button to push...

Nah, that hasn't happened!

5. gyudaddy

gyudaddy Junior Member

Hey, Congrats. I too own 2006 package #4, which is probably all I need. Don't worry too much about MPG tick by tick. No matter what you do, you'll get a better MPG than your previous car. ;)

I'm thinking about getting a new set of tires too. Maybe you can post some pictures later?

6. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gyudaddy @ Jul 17 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]287535[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I'm not particularly concerned with hypermiling, anything above 20mpg is better than I got before! I'll post a couple of pics after we get the new tires.