1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What a Difference 50 Years Can Make!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by DaveinOlyWA, Nov 27, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the caption says it all. you see that big "steering wheel" like apparatus... if Rand had been designing todays computers, that may have been what we would be using while playing NASCAR 2004!!

http://geocities.com/daveinolywa/images/co..._evolution.html

2. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you imagine the look on his face if he were to see what computers actually have evolved into today? :mrgreen:

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    lol... imagine the look on his face when you plop a 250 GB harddrive in his hand...

he probably didnt know what gigabyte meant.

the last line of the caption is pretty funny too

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, it's cute but it's a hoax: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/computer.asp

Clues:
    1. Grammatical error in the caption.
    2. The teletype is a DECwriter model from about 1970.
    3. FORTRAN was first proposed in 1954 and not released until 1956.

5. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for the info...

i have heard it from several people already today

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Fooey! It would have been wonderful if it were for real.

In 1966, when I was in college, and computers were enormous and affordable only by institutions, a computer professor told us, only slightly tongue-in-cheek, that if you ordered two computers, one immediately, and another several months later, the second one would arrive sooner, and be cheaper and more powerful. Even then computer technology was progressing at a break-neck speed. Students were allowed to submit programs, in Fortran, on punch-cards, to be run at night on the mainframe, and a print-out could be picked up in the morning. I never succeeded in getting my program to compile. All I ever got were compiler errors.

By 1970, at another college, I got to play with a computer the size of a very large filing cabinet. It had 2K of memory (which was still, atavistically, called "core" memory, though I don't think they were using cores any more) and used a frustratingly-limited version of Basic, with a program length limit of either 100 or 200 lines, I forget which. I programmed it to play a brain-damaged version of blackjack, in which there were no suits and only 13 cards per deck.

Futurists always get it wrong. They never see the real breakthroughs. In the 50's they predicted intelligent household robots, but missed the mineaturization of electronics and computers. They predicted space travel to the planets and stars, but missed satellite communications. I guess that's why I liked the spoof at the start of this thread. It made my point so well.

7. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i was TRYING to run Cobol when in school and after about 500 of those paper 80 column punch cards (about half were throwaway mistakes) i finally got it to print a list of 5 people and their class schedule... that was my term project for the eniire quarter... and it took the entire quarter!!

8. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    ah, I remember those day of ForTran and RPG in high school... get it running you bet we did... First try correct... you got an A... 2nd = B... lots of punch cards... I even got to the point of reading the holes not what was printed over them... those darn writers made error... and I as not going to loose a grade on that machine...

COBOL was fun... BASIC was self taught... now it is JAVA, Rexx, XML, C,C++ ,WebSphere, etc :) boy we have come a long way in 10...20... 30 years...

GM Le Mans to Toyota Prius... a step in the right direction... back to the turkey...

Happy holidays to one and all.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pjm877\";p=\"53162)</div>
    Hey, you mean maybe the reason my program never ran was because the card puncher punched wrong??? Cool.

... except that, in my case, I bet it was me, trying to learn Fortran from a book as I wrote my program at the card-punch machine.