1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What a great car!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by 9G-man, Apr 24, 2012.

1. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    After a few years of anticipation, and a few months of waiting, I finally picked up my new Plug-in Prius about a week ago.
    Took delivery from First Team Toyota in Chesapeake, VA. They jumped on the PC Approved list from the beginning, and working with them was painless from start to finish. The lovely Becky Richmond was my salesperson and as soon as the car arrived at the port she provided me with the VIN# and took down all my necessary info to expedite the delivery as soon as I walked into the dealership. Very nice people there, painless process, I'd buy a car from them anytime.
    Seeing my new PiP for the first time, It sure looked nice hooked up to their Leviton EVSE, clean and shiney in their delivery bay.
    Becky got my iPhone paired and Entune set up.
    Having already taken care of all the details on my end prior to getting there, In no time I was on my way home.

Fully charged and fueled I began my 540 mile trip home. Even that was easier and painless than I had imagined. Using EV to the interstate and during two stops along the way, the trip was done at 65MPH in HV mode without stopping for fuel! I averaged 59 MPG and when I did fill up the next day, pumped 9.1 gallons of gas. Calculated MPG right on the money!
    Pretty good. Better than my Gen II would have done.

I'm moving up to the PiP from an '07 GenII. with 118,000 trouble free miles, that we still have.
    So the PiP is a big step up for me, with all the Gen III improvements and the Plug in to boot!
    What an improved Prius! I feels so much more substantial, more refined, bigger, quieter, smoother and better handling. What's not to like? I love the interior contrasts of black with silver accents and grey cloth.
    Although the base model, that Display Audio w/ Nav unit is really nice. HD radio, satellite radio, BT phone & audio, and great iPod connectivity. The nav is simple, but very intuitive and fully functional while moving!!!!!! Voice command works flawlessly for me. I have no issues with it at all.
    I've adapted quickly, having read and studied about the HSI and Gen III
    techniques for a couple years now, and of course, you first-delivery-wave PiP pioneers who figured it out so quickly. Thanks.

Now over a week later, I'm 640 miles into my second tank of gas!
    With a consumption indication of 85 MPG, I'm planning on a 850 mile tank. That includes 4 rd. trips to work (94 miles) with charging on both ends for only 1 of those trips. Otherwise it's local driving consisting of about 80% EV driving.

So far the PiP has exceeded my every expectation. It's amazing what it can do with its EV capacity. I'd like that capacity to be larger, but wouldn't we all!

Now, if the rest of the world would just catch up to us, and get some EV charging stations at Wal-Mart, all the restaraunts I frequent and the theater. Basically everywhere I go! :)

Attached Files:

6 people like this.
  2. COIllini1

COIllini1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks. Judging from your experience with 540 mile trip from dealer to home, I am going to have more than twice as much fun driving from SF Bay area to Denver area (~1300 miles) starting next Monday when I pick up my PiP!

3. 2priusfam

2priusfam New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We drove 790 miles. Dulles VA through mtns of Penn and West Va stopping in Columbus OH to visit OSH, followed immediately by a trip home to outside chicago. 13Hrs in 1 day. We also have a 2008 Prius but this is a much nicer car to drive.

4. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds great Greg!

Let's see if we can locate Ultraturtle and have a GA Pip Convention.

5. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    WoW, Sounds Great! Best of luck with your new baby!

6. csolsen

csolsen New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I concur. I took a 1st Gen Prius 2002 up to 132k miles with no issues, but it was really stripped down model.

Now, even my base model PiP feels so luxurious.
    I am forecasting 700-800 miles per fillup. (~50% EV mode)

Chris
    ps
    I am in CA using E-9 rate and charging at home after midnight at 3 cents per kWhr and charging at work for free. Just applied today for the HOV lane sticker.:)