1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What a pain in my grommet

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HKz, May 8, 2024.

1. HKz

HKz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally got around to installing a backup camera for our Prius, much needed upgrade for my wife especially since the arrival of our baby girl!

Found a really inexpensive chinesium wireless apple carplay headunit + surround + backup camera deal on amazon that also claimed to be ready for steering wheel controls without having to buy the separate module. Think it was around $120 when I picked it up https://a.co/d/2N8NUhE

Had a harness with 4 cables, 2 of which were a direct fit to 2 of the four cables in the dashboard. RCA wire had the reverse light positive wire built in so I didn't have to drag two wires across the car. Hid the wires from rear roof to door sills but that caused the wiring to be about 3 feet short so had to add an rca extension and wire.

The real struggle was the damn rubber grommet cover that carries the wiring for the trunk.. I just could not for the life of me get the rca cable through there..read up on stuff here, watched some vids, nothing worked..ended up creating a small slit in the center on the side that would never get direct water to help pass it through and sealed it back up with a little extra insulation in case.

Works flawlessly, and hilariously the backup camera image quality is better than my '23 GR Corolla's lol.

The headunit fitment was a bit of a pain, had to sand and shave down small areas and melt some bits of plastic but ended up fitting perfectly.

The only issue left is the steering wheel control, could not figure it out will give it another go...posting the instructions if anyone has a clue or perhaps I just need to buy a separate swc module on this too.

20240507_225209.jpg 20240506_221051.jpg

20240508_181451.jpg 20240508_181530.jpg 20240508_181538.jpg