1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What about a 2003 PHEV conversion?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by brandonlchavez, Jul 23, 2007.

1. brandonlchavez

brandonlchavez New Member

Hello everybody, I'm new to this website and I've got a fun situation. I have a 2003 Prius Hybrid that is wrecked. The insurance told me it was a total, but the auto shop just wanted to replace everything, some things only have a crack in it. A lot of the damage is to the body and some of the engine components are cosmetic damage. So I want to see if it is possible to convert a 2003 into a PHEV? According to CalCar's website, they said that "Older 'Classic' Priuses lack the low-speed electric-only mode and the battery storage space that makes this possible."

Is the battery storage space a big concern? It's just that I have this vehicle that I want to use as a project. It won't be long before it is up and running as it was before, and after that, I'd like to have a PHEV and promote this green idea in my community.

I have this 2003 that has a lot of good parts still, and I just want to find out if there has been work done to convert a 2003 into a PHEV. I anticipate the Prius+ method or the Pi-Prius method would be used. What more work must be done? Does anyone know of anybody who has already paved a way for an older "classic" Prius?

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I do not have a good answer. Hopefully someone here does. It might be worth sending an e-mail to the CalCars PHEV experts to get a detailed answer. I do know that the NHW 11 Prius's have a higher voltage battery causing some more work than the NHW20 Prius used for most PHEV conversions. I have a 2001 that maybe good for something like this so let us know what you find out.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The electric motors are less powerful than in the newer model. Less trunk space and payload capacity for you and yours.

Extra batteries *have* been added by a few brave souls to the classic Prius, but they have to be 'inside' the current sensor. Managing their temperature will require substantial engineering. Overall a lot of skill required, and a capability to work safely with HV electrical systems.

Recharging all the batteries from external power requires an appropriate HV DC supply, and the Prius being in 'ready' mode so that it can keep track of its battery status.

To cause the gasoline engine not to run, the brute force option is to disconnect power from the electric fuel pump or the fuel injectors. The errors screen will light up in all its glory, but you can still proceed at low speeds until the (now larger combined) battery gets down to something like 25 % state of charge. About then you ought to be thinking about burning some fuel.

By no means is this something that I would try, nor would I suggest to others. But It does appear to be technically possible.

You should just fix up the bashed Prius and drive it. Fixing will be enough of a challenge. You know how to bleed those coolant loops yet? Fix the A/C?

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think putting a extra battery and charging it through the outlet at home would increase gas mileage , but no ev mode is guaranteed

5. brandonlchavez

brandonlchavez New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FL_Prius_Driver @ Jul 23 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]483771[/snapback]</div>
    Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, I sent an email to CalCars PHEV experts and they advised me that it would be in my best interest in trading my '03 for an '04 or newer if I wanted to pursue a PHEV conversion. Currently, there are no plans or kits or any work done for the 2003 and older models. I think that for me, that is a long way off since I have plenty of work to do just to fix it! Thanks for your interest though. Best of luck to ya

Nodnarb

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jul 24 2007, 03:47 AM) [snapback]484043[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've found that the electric motors are less powerful than in the newer models. I would add that those brave souls are far braver than I. :) Suffice to say, I am going to just continue on repairing my banged up Prius. It's actually not my own vehicle, but my boss's. He's asked me to see what I can do with it with my background in electrical engineering. I'm not working on it full time, so the progress will move slowly.

Also, No, I don't know how to bleed the coolant loops or fix the A/C. I bought the manuals and am reading through them. Please feel free to give any advice or suggestions though. Thanks

Nodnarb

6. chenyj

chenyj Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Two years later, we have the conversion kit for Prius 2000-2009. It is available on ebay.

7. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Two ideas.

First, if you want a PHEV with your internal combustion engine, Innovative Automotive Engineers offers one. It's sold on ebay, and I have a long thread on it here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-p...-enginer-plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle.html

Second, have you considered a full EV? If there is a lot of damage to the ICE, it may be worth considering. The transmission will probably be the biggest hurdle - you may need to replace it with a manual. The Prius would make a good EV because of it's weight and airflow.

Wilderness EV sells conversion kits:
    EV Car Kits - Welcome!

They have worked primarily on old clunkers (trucks, Ford festivas, Geo metros), but there is no reason a Prius couldn't be converted.

-->Adam