1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What about... a hybrid motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Kacey Green, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

What about a mild or full gas-electric hybrid motorcycle?
    The only problem I see is the ICE and motor/generators would need to ramp up or down instead of just starting and stopping. Or you could attach a flywheel to the power split device to balance out the tourqe from the ICE or Motor/Generators starting/stopping.

Of course, the multi-display would either need to be smaller or helmet mounted HUD, or a non interactive multi-display, or you could interface with a joystic on the handle bar (like a cell phone joystick)

Thoughts ...?

2. Gurmail

Gurmail Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good idea!! I don't know about the battery weight but the battery will probably be much smaller.

3. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

don't forget that if it is a full hybrid al-la HSD technology, it won't have a transmission, just a smaller PSD, potentially offseting the weight of the battery, or making the whole arrangement lighter, we should get some of the cycle companies to contact toyota, with the understanding they'd have to figure out a solution for the tourqe

4. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

I'm re-title-ing the post

5. LungCookie

LungCookie New Member

6. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

180 MPG? What the heck am I doing drivin this 45 MPG gas guzzler?!?!?! :)

7. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

no not at all like that, I'm with john on this topic, increase efficiency and decrease emmisions, not one or the other that bike uses a diesel. I've come to the conclusion that a mild hybrid isn't going to be good enough even on a bike. the ecycle is a full hybrid somehow even though it only has one MG

Hybrid Synergy Drive uses two or mo Motor/Generators and the toyota power split device.

it could have a third motor in the front spoke on a crotch rocket, or on a cruiser it could use the prius engine and MGs, (plus stealth would be even more fun). a simplified multi-display and interface, the prius gear shifter, (in a thumb toggle) as long as the engine didn't go straight to full speed there shouldn't be any balance issues. a trike could be the same as the cruiser but with the full prius interface,drivetraine and engine (except in rear wheel drive configuration) thoughts ...?