1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

What About Halogen Headlight Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Smooth Operator, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Smooth Operator

I read the discussion about HIR bulbs for the fog lights. I was all prepared to put these in my headlights. Then I realized that they are not available for our 9003 style headlights.

I'll be doing a dark morning/dark night 50 km commute on a winding road starting in a few months. I want ot make sure I can see where I am going.

I understand as well that there foggy periods, so I am trying to track down a Canadian source for HIR bulbs for the fog lights.

So what is the best replacement headlight bulb to provide good light?

I'm thinking maybe the Sylvania SuperStar.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's probably the most recommended.

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Remember that 9003 is also known as H4

4. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you want the brightest output, go for IPF Fatboy H4. They are much bigger than regular H4 and they consume 80/60w (L/H), instead of stock's 55/65w.

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I run SilverStar's in both my wifes and my Prius and they work good and are legal. The fog's are Pi** useless at best. I'm thinking there has to be a replacement light assy that will fit in the location of the stock fogs and provide some useable light in the winter fogs that we have here. If I find any thing I'll let you know.

6. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another note, i wouldn't recommend buying a headlight bulb with actual current draw of over 65/55w (high/low beam) because it may burn your harness!

I've seen it happen many many times... it's not costly to replace them ($30-60), but time comsuming.

7. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Right, thanks for the warning. That's why for maximum safety, one should also use the heavy duty wire harness.